Airmiles Schemes

Airmiles Schemes

I seem to buy tickets from a selection of airlines. I have frequent flyer cards from

Thai

KLM

British Airways

Emirates / Sri Lankan

I've used airmiles from BA to places like Prague and Casablanca. I've never used any of the others. Does anyone have a favourite scheme? Are any not worth having?

For instance I have enough miles from KLM to get a flight from BKK to KL on their partner in SE Asia which is Malaysia Airlines, trouble is every time I go to book a flight they are full....... even 10 monthsin advance.

I have enough miles from Emirates to go to the Maldives via Colombo, does anyone know if I can just get a room on arrival in the Maldives?

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: coquetislander ]

Coquetisislander,

Star Alliance are pretty good as I believe they have the biggest network of airlines/destinations. My experience with them is pretty good (I have a Lufthansa Frequent Flyer, or "Silver" Card).

You have to do a bit of homework though to decide on which airline to take your frequent flyer card with. Their schemes are all a bit different. For example, Thai Airways seems a bit more generous with the award flights than Lufthansa (less miles needed), but if you advance into the "Frequent Traveller" league with Lufthansa (after 50,000 miles per year or 40 flights with Star Aliance per year ), you get an extra 25% miles on each flight. Etc., etc. Lufthansa's regular card is called "Miles and More".

It's quite nornal that award flights have to be booked a LONG time in advance, especially on the more popular international routes. There's only a very limited quota of seats reserved for award tickets on each flight. Whenever I take want to take an award ticket on the Bangkpok - Frankfurt route with Lufthansa, I have to book at least 6-8 months ahead. Still - better than to pay 32,000 Baht!

Cheers, SB

cool.gif" border="0

[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Hi!

Scum_Baggio

I agree with you on the Star alliance. I have a Thai card as their award scheeme seemed better than SAS eurobonus.

To my knowledge this is the larges alliance of all.

As I fly from Stockholm I only have Thai and SAS to choose from if I want a direct flight(which I do).

Also from here one has to book meny months in advance. If you have miles that will expire an alternative is to uppgrade an existing ticket.

regards

ALHOLK

One note regarding FF programs:

If you attain elite status on OneWorld (American Airlines, British Airways, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, others), flights taken on ANY of the airlines accrue miles and bonus miles EXACTLY as if you had flown on the airline whose program you are in. IE, I am an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member. If I fly on Cathay Pacific, I get my 100% mileage bonus.

Not the case on Star. When I fly on Thai I do NOT get my 25% United Permier mileage bonus.

Just a small tid-bit. If you're doing a lot of traveling then you will attain elite status and this can be an issue. OneWorld just functions a little "tighter" than Star.

Archived