1000 $ for marriage papers in Laos!?!

My GLG was told that it would cost 1000 $ !! to get all the necessary documents to marry a farang. Both of us can't believe this and she will go to Vientiane and ask there. I don't trust the local officers and suppose that they would like to earn some extra income....

So does anyone know how much it costs to let make all the papers? (residence certificate, marital status, birth certificate, criminal record)

Thanks in advance

I think you know the answer, $100.00 is way too high. Divide by 10 would be more accurate unless there is some problems with her paper work.

[color:"red"] My GLG was told that it would cost 1000 $ !! [/color]

Such a round number!

You need to find out more details about those papers. The documentation does cost some certain fees, even legal ones. However, some document produce by not-so-legal operations can cost unbelievable price and $1,000 can mean bribing someone to get whatever document also.

Cheers!

By comparison, in Thailand to legally get married costs less than a hundred bucks, and that's for the farang. Most of than amount is spent providing you are eligible to marry. The actual amount to marry, payment to the Ampur, is less than 20 bucks. Something's wrong with amount she quotes. Something really wrong!

naiv,

1.000 $ is a lot of money to get all papers done.

On the other hand, GF has been preparing her set of documents to migrate to Belgium, police cert, health cert and others, all neatly legalised, all neatly translated, and visa application cost at embassy is close to 12K Bt.

Plus the paperwork I went through :p

Ask her details, easy to get clarifications IMO, maybe she included travel ?

BB

First I want to thank everyone.

$1,000 can mean bribing someone to get whatever document also.

I agree with you. Actually farangs need a special permission from the ministry of foreign affairs to marry a lao citizen. It could be that you could circumvent this by bribing the local officer...

Then I have read that it can take quite a lot of time to get papers in laos and if you want to speed up you just have to pay more....

I expect the paper work to be more expensive than in Thailand because some amounts of bribing are just expected especially from a farang!!

I will inform you when I know what my GF was told in Vientiane.

Best regards

Archived