Small change ...

Flashermac

you are 100% right...

but 2 or 3 times some of these stupid slum dwellers, country bumpkins and/or hookers have asked me (seriously) why farangs/I saved money and didn't spend what we had.

And I was a bit at a loss to explain it... It is so obvious for me. But it was not so easy to give good reasons why I am not spending all I can spend.

The interesting thing for me was that they were able to see the problem and to ask this question. I would not have thought that.

BTW the real reason why I save my money is that I don't like a rich lifestyle. And this is something most farangs cannot understand either.

pretty much sums it up. Both ask each other the same question exasperatingly: "money, moeny, is that all you have in mind?". About thais, it's having it to spend, so they need more, about farangs it's about saving what you have earned, so you still have some. east meets west....

I am certain it has to do with the fact that we westerners, right or wrong, have acquired some kind of certainty about our lives, re-inforced by the people around us, therefore tomorrow is linked to today and yesterday. For many asians (thais), nothing still is certain, at least at deep psyche level, so use while you have, tomorrow is another day.

Nervous_Dog said:

its like that movie where someone is embezzling from his work, (Richard Pryor).

The boss finally learns that someone, when they pay there staff $123, 65 1/2 cents has been taking the 1/2 cents.

He says "Clearly we are dealing with a criminal genius, he will be hard to catch.

Just then Richard Pryor drives into the carpark in a brand new ferrari.

Boss "Or maybe not"

DOG

Superman 3

" but 2 or 3 times some of these stupid slum dwellers, country bumpkins and/or hookers have asked me (seriously) why farangs/I saved money and didn't spend what we had. "

The answer may be very simple, depending a lot on where the speaker came from. While living in small rice farming village near Nong Khai, it slowly became apparent that these people did not need much money to live on. Pa would go hunding and fishing most days, Ma would gather greens and catch frogs and bugs, and during rice planting and harvesting seaons, everybody did their part on Grandma's rice farm. They bought very, if any of their daily food.

Ma and Pa owned their own small houses and had no debt to speak of. The main need for cash was for the electricit bill, and expenses related to school for the kids.

When they get older, they are confident their children will take care of them (this may be the most significant factor). There is little need to save for the future if the earth provides your daily needs and you know your children will take care of you in your old age.

Maybe that explains part of this attitude.

Archived