The Death Penalty

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see what happens when they catch the first farang carrying a large (or indeed any size)stash since the new crackdown-all sorts of possibilities here I would say.

Note too that a few weeks ago some cops were caught dealing drugs in the North. No death penalty for them of course, rather a weekend rehabilitation course in the local temple. Must have been worse than death itself!

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Bembaman ]

Well, it looks like this topic is a bit touchy for some. First of all I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a set amount of drugs you would have to be in possesion of before recieving the death penalty. As far as trading is concerned you are probably right it won't matter much to most since money is money no matter where it comes from. As for your comments on the EU Mr. Warlock (and I am not from the EU) as an American you should be the last to person to talk about other countries imposing their will on others. Are you trying to tell me that The US govenment never tries to use their military muscle or economic power to force their version of democracy on others. Oh, but wait I forgot they are always right aren't they?

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: V. Calvino ]

quote:

Are you trying to tell me that The US govenment never tries to use their military muscle or economic power to force their version of democracy on others.

If you've got it, flaunt it.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Warlock on the EU sticking their nose where it's not wanted. The US' problem is that they don't administer capital punishment fairly and most states don't have the guts to actually follow through with it. One day they will and I can't wait to hear the EU howl.

Capital punishment doesn't deter capital crimes but it sure eliminates recidivism.

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Capital punishment doesn't deter capital crimes but it sure eliminates recidivism.

It also eliminates the chances of rehabilitation into society and more than likely eliminates a fair few innocent people.

It is widely known that the USA has one of the lowest violent crime and murder rates in the world, this must be down to capital punishment. If only we had it in the UK, it would be a far safer place to live.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by Warlock30:

" Thailand has every right to execute drug dealers and anyone else its elected leaders and citizens decide should be sentenced to death.

Like farang sex tourists ?

This is a complicated issue and someone once said you can judge a country by how it treats its criminals. Personally, I'm for the death penalty in principle. I do respectfully disagree with Warlock30 about not caring what other countries do. For instance, the Peoples Republic of China, forces slave labor on their 'criminals'. Some of whom are political prisoners and citizens who want to practice freedom of religion like being a Christian. Would be opposed to those people being arrested and executed? Since its their country and they can do what they want with their criminals?

I personally think the EU is a little too liberal for my taste when it comes to that issue. They have the right to be against it. A democratic nation chooses its own morality. Every nation and circumstance is different. If they had Ameirica's crime rate and violent crime statistics would they still feel the same? Maybe not. You have to judge each country according to its own culture. There should some sort of universal morality but that will never happen as there is not one country that defines that universality the same. Each makes that judgment based on its own history and culture and set of circumstances.

Someone once told a friend of mine that the death penalty doesn't deter crime. He responded 'that guy won't do it again, will he?' lol

In LOS, you know the rules ahead of time. The penalty is harsh. If you still do it and get caught, you know the rules.

"In LOS, you know the rules ahead of time. The penalty is harsh. If you still do it

and get caught, you know the rules." And if some half-baked Thai ho gets a bug up her ass about you and plants some yabaa in your room and rats to the police-THEN WHAT?

Archived