Soi 22

Roger_Baby

They also had a Larry's Dive in Pattaya for a while. Not sure if still open there or not.

They had a lady's night a few years back. A free drink to the guy for each lady he brought in, or something like that.

For me parking is the problem at this place. Soi 22 is not a very friendly parking spot.

I have not been recently, but enjoyed the place enough in the past to try the new management and see if any changes.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For me parking is the problem ...[snip... Soi 22 is not a very friendly parking spot.

Good point, and important for anybody driving in.

There really isn't much public parking in the Soi 22 area.

The only public parking I know is behind Mambo Cabaret in Washington Square.

I suppose could park in Queen's Park hotel, but no idea of cost.

Emporium also has parking garage, but seems a long ways from Soi 22.

Thanks for the very kind reply and glad to see you had a good time at Aloha even though you might not return. You should have introduced yourself as a fellow board member. I would have enjoyed talking to you and hearing your comments in person.

I accept the criticism and it is something we are working on. It is just the same as many other bars in the city and most of the customers are guys who live in or around the Soi and use it as a local meeting place.

It is extremely hard to come up with a "reason" for people to come. I have been here on holiday or living here for many years and have witnessed almost every promotion going but most don't produce a lot of extra business. It is the staff and customers that "make" a place and that takes years to develop. Like the Scot bar with a loyal band of regulars.

And having read all your comments on Larrys Dive I will pay it another visit sometime and check out the new management.

Anyone else coming to Aloha please introduce yourselves as a fellow board member and say hello I'd enjoy talking to you.

I used to be 'uniformguy' but have changed my handle as I felt that was a bit dangerous for my day job as a teacher.

For customers that you really want, promotions are meaningless as long as you remain fairly price competitive. I think it's the staff that distinguishes any small bar. I would point to Toxic on Soi 18 - a bit out of the way and not much to go there for except for the bartender.

As long as she's there, I'll stop by to say hello and when she's gone, I probably won't.

So find yourself a couple of entertaining girls (not necessarily hotties) and good luck to you.

It is extremely hard to come up with a "reason" for people to come. ...[snip]... It is the staff and customers that "make" a place and that takes years to develop.

Uniformity -

I wish more managers understood that concept, as you do.

Surely, some must.

All should.

I've been looking for a "local" pub-tavern for a long time.

One would expect that Soi 22 would be the ideal neighborhood to find that in Bangkok.

It's off the main track, a bit older and quieter, certainly more relaxed and far less crowded than Cowboy or Nana or Convent or Thonglor.

Yet in most places in 22, it's just go in, buy your drink and food, buy a lady drink or two to pay the rent, and then get a standard "kop-khun-kaaaaa" on the way out.

I've looked in at many over the past several years:

From Flyer's at the head of the soi, over to Silver Dollar and Bourbon Street in Washington Square.

Then there's Denny's Corner in the middle of 22, and Moonshine in the bar plaza.

And there's more all the way down to New Cowboy at the very end of the farang section of Soi 22.

I've looked at everything from one end to the other.

I even went into IQ-Karaoke, because the lovely girls sitting outside smiled at me, and I'm not Japanese! _ :D

But, so far, only one place even comes close: D'Pelican Inn.

I've probably been into D'Pelican 100 times in the past couple of years.

And yes, it is because of the staff.

The bartender always remembers how I like my drinks.

The owner, if he's in, will come to my table and chat.

So will his wife.

One or another of the waitresses will teach me a new word in Thai.

And, if she's not busy, even the cook sometimes comes out of the kitchen to flirt with me for a few minutes.

That's the way a "local" should be.

(Now, please don't go thinking I have any connection to that place. I don't.)

But in all of soi 22, with all the bars and restaurants concentrated there, that's the only place I've found so far where I keep going back just because I enjoy it there.

Why aren't there more with a similar, friendly, welcome?

Please don't misunderstand:

I do enjoy other places in the Soi 22 area.

Dubliner is one of my favorites and is my first choice for getting together with friends.

I often go to Eat-zy and Raan-Derm restaurants, and that little noodle shop near the Western Union booth.

And, yes, I like Larry's -- sometimes.

But, none of those offer any incentive to linger, and no reason to go back unless I am hungry.

For some, they would say, unless they are thirsty or looking for a lady's company for the night.

Have I overlooked someplace special in the neighborhood of Soi 22?

There's an excellent restaurant across the street from "Aloha".

Used to be "Coffee Max", but name just changed to "Bon Cafe".

I have to withdraw my earlier recommendation for Coffee Max - Bon Cafe.

The European manager left a couple of weeks ago.

I happened to pass him in Soi 22, and he told me about the change.

Since then I've been back to Coffee Max three times.

I'm sorry to say the place is going downhill quickly.

Food quality noticeably down.

Cleanliness and service both down.

Music this last time was loud "rap".

My gentle request to change music was a big deal, with lots of discussion among the staff before one of them grudgingly changed the CD.

I won't be going back any time soon.

Well, we totally agree on this one. We were just starting to make friends with the Dutch guy and his partner when he suddenly disappeared. We don't know why, do you?

He was causing quite a stir on the Soi cycling up and down with platefuls of food under a silver salver balanced on one hand to deliver them. Coffee Max is directly opposite Aloha so we sometimes order food from there for hungry customers.

Archived