Snake to eat in Bangkok or Pataya?

Haven't touched snake in Thailand. It's not the sort of thing that's as popular in some other Asian countries. If I remember rightly there was a riverside restaurant under the flyover over the Chao Phraya, not far from Apple Guest House, (not far from KSR in Banglamphoo), which had snake on the menu. Don't know what it was like as it's not my first choice when eating out.

The Vietnamese love snake. Very easy to get hold of over there. Had cobra in a little restaurant on the river in Cantho, Mekong Delta. Not too bad. The consistency of the meat was quite chewy and it didn't have tons of bones as I thought it would have. However as the nearby group of Viets were all eating big juicy shrimp I think they made the wiser choice.

Down in KL, Malaysia, they serve quite tasty chillied frog. If you go to one of the outdoor restaurants sit in the gutter they'll select Kermit for you and brain the bugger on a propane bottle right in front of ya. As a guy who likes his meat prepared in little neat shrink wrapped plastic packages, usually, it added a whole new culinary dimension.

Sukhumvit,

Thanks, I'll try to find it in October.

Had King Cobra in Chiang Mai once, lots of bones, delicate flesh, a beautiful dish.

Yes I've seen them "brain" frogs in Chiang Mai as well, not something you expect.

cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0

[ May 24, 2001: Message edited by: coss ]

<It's not the sort of thing that's as popular in some other Asian countries>

would not confirm that; i worked for a company with a plant some 100 miles north of bangkok; one day a cobra was seen in the plant; the thai staff opened hunting season and around half a dozen cobras were on the lunch menu. later there was always a dispute between staff, gardener and cleaning personnel and guards, who is in charge of cobra hunting....

Archived