Thai Lesson in Bangkok Post

Chlp

I just noticed a Thai mini lesson in Bangkok Post, Tuesday, 11/28/06 issue, in the Learning Post section. It is both in the print version and online.

Is this a regular feature?

yes, it's in there just about every Tuesday. the "dialogs" are kind of stuffy and didactic and not really the way people talk in everyday life, but it is a good way to pick up some useful vocabulary...also good that they always tie the dialog for a given week to an excerpt from a newspaper story...

preahko

The Peace Corps in the 1960s and early '70s used the old Mary Haas books written for the OSS during WWII. Her sources seem to have been mainly American missionaries who had been in Thailand decades before WWII. Thus PCVs would sometimes be asked, "Why do you talk so old fashioned?"

Thank God they got some new material by the time I came here.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at the Learning Post portion of the web site and I realized that they keep an online archive of the articles going back to 2003. Listed below is the description of each of the columns along with links to the annual archives.

Translate it, our Tuesday column, is an innovative column that appeals to a wide variety of readers. Its primary purpose is to help interested readers learn to accurately translate English texts into Thai, but it also serves extremely well as an English lesson for those who appreciate some Thai language support in their studies. The column has also found a loyal following among foreigners who are learning Thai at an advanced level.

Archives: 2006 2005 2004 2003

Phuut Phaasaa Thai gives students of Thai language useful topical and seasonal Thai words and phrases to help you out in common situations.

Archives: 2006 2005 2004 2003

Sap Jaak Khao looks at a selection of vocabulary from a timely news story in both Thai and English. It is helpful for learners of both languages. (The last column in the archives is dated 13 Sep 05.)

Archives: 2005 2004 2003

Archived