Is Sukhumvit rd safe

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by mentor:

Is Sukhumvit rd safe

for walking about during the day and night?

No it is not safe. Broken sidewalks, motorcycles on sidewalks and going the wrong way, soi dogs and their droppings, vendor stalls blocking your path, and clueless tourists occupying the WHOLE sidewalk.

wink.gif" border="0

Crime wise, watchout for pickpocket katoeys after midnight. Safer than NY or LA for tourists.

The main drag of Sukhumvit is generally safe, particularly in comparison to other big cities of the world.

Midnight to 6 am, the normally miniscule chance of a problem rises to "unlikely".

But - do remember that predators exist everywhere in the world. Probably every night, the most likely "mark" (blind drunk, wearing flashy gold jewelry, whatever) stumbling down Sukhumvit will experience a problem. So - point to remember - never, EVER, allow yourself to stick out as the "highest reward for the lowest risk" target walking down the avenue. Easiest way - stay alert, and stay aware of your surroundings. 'Sounds simple, and it is.

Sukhumvit is safe enough that if you just look like you are aleret and aware, the predators will pass you over and look for an easier "mark".

But don't ever be the limping, staggering antelope dragging itself across the African savannah - just waiting to be lunch for some predator.

Cheers!

BB

quote:

Originally posted by mentor:

Is Sukhumvit rd safe

for walking about during the day and night?

... I've never had a problem walking home after midnight apart from navigating through that treacherous passage of hookers from Soi 5 to Thermae.

wink.gif" border="0

quote:

...apart from navigating through that treacherous passage of hookers from Soi 5 to Thermae.

I have to agree with Nomad, extremely treacherous, something to be avoided by those without a full debauchery licence.

I knew a couple of inexperienced Sanukers who disappeared without trace in that short, but dangerous stretch of pavement. One minute they were walking next to me, the next minute, poof! All gone!

quote:

Posted by Coss:

I knew a couple of inexperienced Sanukers who disappeared without trace in that short, but dangerous stretch of pavement. One minute they were walking next to me, the next minute, poof! All gone!

yes i can only agree about the katoys, have had my nuts grabbed and my pockets emptied on one occasion and i didn,t even notice until i got back to my hotel.play safe and be aware.

quote:

Originally posted by shygye:

No it is not safe. Broken sidewalks, motorcycles on sidewalks and going the wrong way, soi dogs and their droppings, vendor stalls blocking your path, and clueless tourists occupying the WHOLE sidewalk.

shygye is dead right there, the pavements are getting so bad that the motorcycle taxis are even refusing to drive down them. And as for the clueless tourists......

Better off walking down the road itself, you've got more chance of getting to where your going alive.

Archived