Cambodian going to Thailand - passport?

Mart

Hi

If I would like to take a cambodian girl to Thailand for a holiday 1-2 weeks, will she need a passport and apply for a visa?

Or can we just travel by land, and cross at Poi Pet or near Trat?

If she need the passport/visa, how long will that normally take to get?

Thanks,

I read a few years back that Cambodians are allowed to travel into Thailand just by showing their ID card at the land borders. But that they are only allowed to travel 50km from the border.

Just wondered wether that was being "used" a bit more. But I guess you are right. We should do it the official way, even though time may be an issue :(

Time and MONEY might be an issue in getting the passport. Can take up to 3 weeks to get the passport and something like $125? The visa isn't so much a prob. The passport issuance can be overcome by paying a bribe for "express service".

As noted above, Khmer can get a border pass at Poipet which is good for the market on the Aranyaprathet side of the border (immediately adjacent). Trying to sneak your friend into the interior might bring about a prob. There is at least one check-point on the highway from the border to Aranyaprathet. And another on the bus from Aran to BKK. Everybody has to get their ID/passports out.

HH

HH

Time and MONEY might be an issue in getting the passport. Can take up to 3 weeks to get the passport and something like $125? The visa isn't so much a prob. The passport issuance can be overcome by paying a bribe for "express service".

As noted above, Khmer can get a border pass at Poipet which is good for the market on the Aranyaprathet side of the border (immediately adjacent). Trying to sneak your friend into the interior might bring about a prob. There is at least one check-point on the highway from the border to Aranyaprathet. And another on the bus from Aran to BKK. Everybody has to get their ID/passports out.

HH

HH

Yep, the cambodian passport sure isn't cheap by any standard, but it's downright gouging by khmer standards. Oh well, guess they figure that if you can afford to travel, you can also afford to support the Ministers' mercedes habit...

To make matters worse, the damn things expire after something like 1-2 years...then you get to pay again! :banghead:

Or so I hear...

Archived