Vietnam - Two Weeks or Three ??

gawguy

I liked Saigon, a week's enough there though. Even five years ago, no hassles with any Commie generals.

Saigon three years ago. Immmigration at SAI airport. These guys are dressed up in olive drab 'general' uniforms. I looked. Not a smile amongst all of them.

No, they weren't real generals. They just had the Fidel Castro green miltary uniform - all of them at immigration. And they all had 'medals' and 'ribbons' to show off - prove that they were 'important' and 'decorated' !

No, there was no hassle.

18 months was enough!

Yes, one tour is certainly enough.

But I did go back twice. Once up north and once down south.

It is a beautiful country. People were friendly. Even though there is a 'War Museum' in Saigon, I found it only visited by middle easterners.

The people today, of Vietnam were mostly born after the Vietnam War. To them, it is ancient history.

I found all of Vietnam friendly and safe. With beautiful beaches.

I fully realize, for some, returning might be difficult.

I earned a CAR and was an 0331 in the boonies on my first trip. My bed was the ground, rain or shine, for my entire first trip.

I like to travel, but I do respect those who have been there under uncomfortable circumstancs - not desiring to return.

There are the *real* tunnels and ones made wider for fat farangs to get through...the booby traps are all on display near the tunnels .

Once you finished there you can go a bit further along to the firing range and you can choose to fire from a range of weapons used in the war...

yes in one of those tunnels i was and crawled around. Was in 1995. :tophat:

Then in 1999 i crawled around again, but more in Viet night spots :grinyes:

I like Vietnam and i will visit it again maybe next year. :content:

• 2 weeks later...

Vitenam is a great country to travel, Hanoi, Da Nang, Hue, Na Trang and Saigon are all good imho.

The Cu Chi tunnels were interesting, again imho. I didn't take a tour but rented a motorbike and made my own way, that was a nice experience, getting out of Saigon and cruising the country side.

Definately make sure you taste the bia hoi, diely brewed fresh beer!

My bud was a "tunnel rat"...messed him up for a while...now they make them a tourist attraction? whatever :dunno:

I went down those tunnels. Although they were much widened and lit and had exit holes every 10 metres or so for tourists to chicken out, I still found it very claustrophic and unpleasant. Only me and another guy out of my tour group made it all the way through (and that wasn't that far anyway).

I came out wondering what the hell it must have been like for those tunnel rats, with the tunnels much narrower, darker, full of booby traps, snakes, spiders, knowing that the enemy could be around any corner waiting to kill you and that he knew his own home much better than you. Or the tunnel could just fall in on you. I just couldn't imagine it.

Your buddy could go into any blowjob bar and say "No, I had the worst job in the world"...

Also looking at the array of booby traps and how easy it was to trip them got me trying to put myself in the position of a soldier. Walking normally let alone under fire, running, ducking for cover not being able to check where you were going. You'd have no chance of avoiding them. Just pot luck.

I'm not sure any of the other tourists in my group were thinking too deeply about this though. While I was trying to conjure up what it must have been like, they just started talking about their damn digital cameras... :doah:

Archived