Lost Luggage

HSTEACH

The same floor in MBK that has the food court. Lots of large sized clothes.

Luggage gets lost and delayed a lot (its happened to me four times, and I rarely check luggage!)

This is especially true if you have a tight connection. don't worry, your luggage will probably arrive in Bangkok at about the time your leave.

Many tailors in the city can turn around a pair of pants and a shirt of two in 24 hours if you ask.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I flew PanAm to the States and back twice in the 1970s. First time, they smashed my luggage - and tried to blame it on the Thai baggage handlers. Second time, my flight continued on from Tokyo to HK and Bangkok ... and my bag got sent to Osaka. Had to hang around Bangkok for 4 days, when I wanted to go straight up north. Not a penny of compensation from PanAm. No wonder they went bust. :(

Because of that, I try to fly only with carry on.

As to clothes in a hurry, Chatuchak Park usually has a lot of inexpensive brand new western shirts. They are seconds - some minor defect that is usually unnoticeable.

From the website:

Expenses: If away from home, customers may also request reimbursement for additional personal items (i.e., clothing and toiletries) purchased as a result of the delay by presenting receipts at the Baggage Service office at the airport. Reimbursement is limited to $50.00 for the first 24 hours, and $25.00 per each additional day of delay, up to $150.00 per ticketed passenger.

2 or 3 years in a row i flew from boston on delta to jfk to take the thai direct flight to bangkok. Every year by bags would not get on the plane I was on. My wife (gf and fiance at the times) thought I was lucky, because they would deliver the bags to her condo the next day, and if I went to the thai office on silom they would give me B4000 for the inconvenience (when it was likely delta that screwed up).

Hard to imagine bags getting permanently lost nowadays, what with bar codes and such, unless the tag's off and there's no ID.

Back in the day when I worked for Air New Zoo at LAX, we'd make visual inspections of the United and PanAm bagrooms and often find bags we were looking for. Because you knew if a bag came off the carousel there, unclaimed, it would be put in a cage and nobody gave a fuck about it. Telexes (which was how we communicated) to those guys always went unanswered. After 30 days, the bags would be sent to 'central baggage tracing' at the airlines' HQ, which must have been a real fucking boneyard. :)

Also in those days, baggage guys used to put things like teddy bears on RUSH tags (meant for expediting lost bags) and send them to the remotest places in the world they could think of, on any airline. The next guy would cross off the last airport code and send it somewhere else. After a year, you might come across the same teddy bear that had been around the world about 50 times. THEY never seemed to get lost!

Thanks to all who had suggestions. Part of our luggage has been found in PARIS. WTF? How in the hell did it wind up in Paris? It was supposed to go the other way around the world. I said part, the other two bags have yet to be found. At least we'll have something different to wear tomorrow. Again, thanks for the responses. I'll probably make an appearance for the Friday nighter for the first time in about three years as it's only a short walk from the Admiral Premier. Mack let me know if you'll be there and I'll bring you your stuff.

Archived