A TG you and a restaurant.

radioman

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was last night, and I'm still in recovery, though seems to be more from the onset of a cold or something than a heavy night, no drinking as such.

When we met up I was about to give her three choices as to what she would like to do for dinner. Ya ever give a TG a choice? Normally a recipe for an entire hours discussion usually followed by a trip to the noodle cart, ok well not this one anyway. Much to my surprise having previously suggested we could do anything she liked for dinner she had actually thought about it and mentioned a place that did a good steamed crab, something she was very much in the mood for. I said that was fine and the others would keep.

We hadn't seen each other in a while so there was a little of what does you ogod to follow this agreement and subsequently as we were preparing to go out she asked about the other places anyway. I'm lying on the bed watching her make up her face, beautiful bare naked from the waist up and chatting about this nice little place on Soi 22 and the, as yet undiscovered, delights of Thong Lo 13 then additionally Ban Klang Nam 2 down Rama 3 next to the river. I swear when I mentioned this last one her eyes lit up her ears twitched and I'm damn sure even her nipples perked, what a result. Well there was no going back and despite the torrential downpour that commenced as if on cue she was adamant we were dining on Rama 3.

Picking our way through the traffic and impromptu lakes that seemed to have invaded Rama 3 at this time we went in search of Bangkok Square and Soi 30. The limited visibility and incessant rain made this mildly entertaining and we were both howling with laughter at our own stupidity for such an escapade on a night like this. We found it and after negotiating the perimeter road of Bangkok Square we located the restaurant down at the rivers edge. Valet parking and a pantheon of giant parasol like umbrella wallahs eased our entrance into the establishment and despite our inability to sit outside and dine at rivers edge it is a nice looking place with both indoor and outdoor covered areas. We sat inside, ordered a beer a big fish the much anticipated steamed crab and a plate of California Roll just to kick things off.

The roll was very nice and though I’m not overly fond of rice at such an early stage in a meal it did not really impact, the soi/wasabi mix giving it that great delicious kick. The ‘pla krapong’(sp) was big, really big, could have housed a family of four never mind feed them and then the three crabs, I forget which variety but could have been spider crabs, quite long legs and orange and white in colour. It all went down very well helped with a little more San Mig light, but not too much.

The price was 1550 baht all done, including the doggy bag of half a fish and a crab for ‘puen’. Not perhaps the cheapest but I think it was value. The quality of the food, its preparation and time to serve and just the right amount of attentiveness from the staff all made it seem an effortless and thoroughly enjoyable experience. Had the weather not conspired against us preventing a more al fresco effect then I would say it would have been more than good. Highly recommended but check the weather first!

There are what looks like a number of similar restaurants in this same area and though a few kilometres from the Sukhumvit slum is well worth the taxi fare or drive.

So apologies to Cent for not being able to report on his Soi 22 eatery, we did drive past later in the evening and both agreed it’s on the list. I’m sure you will understand that it would not have been in my best interests to have tempted fate with an insistence once the mind had been set.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Kling Khao the other night. Great little place. We sat downstairs; there was a party of maybe 8 farangs and another couple in when we arrived. Sat in a corner and had just a really nice time there. We both enjoyed the atmosphere of the place, service was great, just there when you needed it but not at all intrusive. I forget what we ordered, nothing outrageous but I do know it was good, portions were just the right size for us and it was all very well prepared and presented.

Probably the best thing I can say about this place is that I really don’t want to say too much, it’s the sort of place I’d keep to myself but thanks again to Cent for sharing, we’ll be going again in due course.

Archived