The Aussie dollar ...

Not sure how many, if any, BMs rely on Aussie dollars to finance life in Thailand, but those of us who visit as tourists will be less than happy to hear that our dollar hasnt hit rock bottom, with experts predicting that it will go to mid-70s against the US dollar. February's 3000+ baht per 100 Aussie pesos seems like a world away - these were the onshore rates per XE.com this afternoon:

100 GBP - 4709 baht

100 Euro - 3897 baht

100 USD - 3268 baht

100 AUD - 2658 baht

I realise that this isnt an apples and oranges comparison, but given that we were headed for parity with the almighty greenback just 3 months ago, its a shock to the system. Forget the LDs and barfines - its straight back to the hotel with chicken-on-a-stick, a bottle of 100 Pipers and a FL'er !

:smirk:

(in brighter news, our exports just got cheaper - woohoo. Put another shrimp on that barbie, ya flamin mongrels !)

Bummer! I hope that *** someone's *** currency will make some gains!

By my reading, the baht has made substantial gains against the pound, Euro and Aussie dollar ...

:smirk:

PS latest happy news has Hungary putting their hand up and telling the EU that they are in the same position as Greece. Beautiful, just what we all need right now. They must be doing backflips in Berlin right around now and ruing the day they voted for the Euro.

Not sure how many, if any, BMs rely on Aussie dollars to finance life in Thailand, but those of us who visit as tourists will be less than happy to hear that our dollar hasnt hit rock bottom, with experts predicting that it will go to mid-70s against the US dollar. February's 3000+ baht per 100 Aussie pesos seems like a world away - these were the onshore rates per XE.com this afternoon:

YUP, I hear the same thing about the AUD, heading to mid 70s range to the USD, or worst from one TV account.

1) SUPER TAX

2) China bubbles

3) Euro troubles

Seems a bit unfair to me, that the Bank of Thailand scheme to fix the baht, largely weighted to the YEN & USD. Pretty much, making it a world reserve currency, with the effect of skimming, to build reserves.

I guess, if you can do it, and get away with it, you do it in your own interest. May backfire however in the long run,with the loss of exports, trade agreements and investment in the future development of the country.

For all that, I really wish there was a 'SASIO' : Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia with a single currency. Changing Aussie dollars for one, then having to change the new currency for baht really gets old - I'm sure the expats who fly from Thailand to other parts of Asia on a regular basis must have all sorts of currencies in their sock drawer. Fine when its the SGD, not so hot when its the Riel or its zany Laotian equivalent. Only Indonesia has a more annoying currency - a handful of banknotes might buy you lunch .....

• 2 months later...

Archived