Lloyds TSB ATM card?

Lusty

This post is mainly to UK based Boardies but input from anyone else with similar problems most welcome.

I bank with Lloyds TSB in the UK and everytime I come here my fucking ATM card won't work until I have made at least two phone calls to England and gone through the security process both times!

Luckily I anticipated this and I've prepared myself with some back up funds in the form of T/T's.

Anyone else get problems like this? :cussing:

Call them before you leave and tell them you'll be traveling abroad.

I wouldn't feel qualified to comment, being an American, but it happened to me and I was just as frustrated with an American bank. Paying toll calls at odd hours (screwing up my nightlife) and on the third night the fucker I got a hold of who finally fixed the problem bragged about it like he did me a HUGE favor. :cussing:

That was a joint account held by my wife and I for about 20 years. So, between us, I'm guessing at the very least 120 international trips before this shit started happening.

That's what confounded me. But fact is, it's just a new software that doesn't take history into account (except for maybe a few high rollers?).

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

PS. The motherfucker also gave me a handy tip. Get the 'fraud prevention' (or whatever the department's called in Blighty) phone number before you leave in case it happens again. It's not on the back of your card and saves loads of merry-go-round.

Yup, happens with Barclays as well, SOP I think. They want to be sure your card hasn't been cloned or being used fraudulently. Thailand has a really bad reputation for mail theft along with general dodgy behaviour relating to bank accounts. This will happen when the system spots a change in regular behaviour so if you use your card for months on end in half a dozen machines in one country then it suddenly appears in a machine half way around the world the system flags it and locks it until verified.

As said you can call and tell them in advance but I've found in the past that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. You might be able to nominate some specific ATM's in Thailand.

I've not used my UK card in a UK ATM for maybe 10 years. Went to do so not long ago, in the very bank where my account is, it loceked me out! Soon sorted though.

Good luck.

I've not used my UK card in a UK ATM for maybe 10 years. Went to do so not long ago, in the very bank where my account is, it loceked me out!

This is comedic material, for sure. :yikes:

I understand you said it was sorted quickly, but it's still funny! I was thinking an immigrant took over your account.

Such is life. Almost ticked me off but I'm a bit more relaxed about such stuff these days. It was at this time that I heard about how the system tracks regular usage patterns to see if it thinks the use is genuine or not, hey software, it's not perfect right. Heck knows what else they do with the data :dunno:

Archived