Photos From Daily Life In Thailand

think_too_mut

Be thankful they kept that much on. :elephant:

When I was in publishing 20+ years ago, I was sent to write about the then new Club Med Phuket for two magazines. I took my Mrs along with me. She was shocked at the topless Europeans all over the beach. One day the cute French Club Med manager stopped to talk to us on the beach, both she and the two Farang females with her wearing only bikini bottoms. After they left my wife said to me, "Weren't you embarrassed?" I replied, "Why should I be embarrassed? They're the ones who are nearly naked, not me."

The sight of topless women in public was so new that Thais would come to the beach at Club Med to stare. There were a few attractive monokini-clad women, but plenty of them should have been required by law to keep their clothes on in public. :p

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in publishing 20+ years ago, I was sent to write about the then new Club Med Phuket for two magazines. I took my Mrs along with me. She was shocked at the topless Europeans all over the beach. One day the cute French Club Med manager stopped to talk to us on the beach, both she and the two Farang females with her wearing only bikini bottoms. After they left my wife said to me, "Weren't you embarrassed?" I replied, "Why should I be embarrassed? They're the ones who are nearly naked, not me."

The sight of topless women in public was so new that Thais would come to the beach at Club Med to stare. There were a few attractive monokini-clad women, but plenty of them should have been required by law to keep their clothes on in public. :p

Then, what is "acceptable"?

I guess, something like this (was posted before). Siam Park, Bangkok, "official" bathing suits, for rent:

bath1.jpg

When I was in publishing 20+ years ago, I was sent to write about the then new Club Med Phuket for two magazines. I took my Mrs along with me. She was shocked at the topless Europeans all over the beach...

...There were a few attractive monokini-clad women, but plenty of them should have been required by law to keep their clothes on in public. :p

When I went to Berlin in early 90s, I was MOTIVATED when they told me the women were topless/naked at the Wannsee. So we went down there, and the vast majority of folks sans any clothing were old fat dudes and women. Gah!!! I mean there was some eye candy there, but we're talking small percentile.

What a gyp.

Everybody knows this character from The Apocalipse Now (Major Killgore by Robert Duvall). He loves to surf.

360_danang1.jpg

And surf is great down there:

360_danang2.jpg

Right here:

360_danang3.jpg

What does this have to do with life in Thai? Firstly, I took the photos from my trip to Thai (except the first one) and now there is a 2 line story worth millions of Thai jobs, not even the WSJ or The Economist understand how simple it is and spread bullshit around. Spend another 15 seconds reading this and you will se how wrong they are and why they will never be right.

Surf is good where the sea is shallow. That is Vietnam's problem: no deep sea harbours to take the goods out as from Laem Chabang or even Khlongtoey.

So, no company would pack up after the floods or riots or cost rise and move from Thai (or China) to Vietnam. Thailand won't use their share.

Archived