Unidentified Westerner Found Shot Dead In Saraburi

Boo Radley

The deceased should be weighed and the punishment adjusted accordingly.

better depending on wealth and/or monthly income

this guy was some CEO of a Singaporean company, so death penalty is immanent.

if you kill some english teacher in LOS, you will be fined or 3 months imprisonment

low income people are free of charge

for retirees you will get a refund from the government, who can save on pensions

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The courts really need to hand out some tough penalties for these sort of crimes against foreigners to stop this sort of thing becoming more widespread.99 years behind bars or even the ultimate punishment might send out the right message.I suppose sticking to the old maxim of " always be worth more alive than dead " would offer some protection. :chinaman:

In the comments section to the Bangkok Post article, someone posted the following: "Oscar was paying B50,000/mth already. That money was about to stop on Oct 8 when the divorce verdict was about to be handed out. He already had custody of Pun. When he won custody of Pun, the mother-in-law did the hand across the throat action in court & was ejected.!!!"

No way to totally verify this from a comment in the paper, but the poster identified this guy by name and provided specific details such as the amount that was paid, the date it would stop and wife's ejection from the court. Why would someone bother to make this sort of detail (easy to quickly discredit if untrue) up? Her ejection from the court also helps explain why the police quickly identified her. This has a ring of truth to it, but without more its impossible to say anything beyond that. Anyone know more details?

This guy was a country manager and presumably travelled in ex-pat circles. There are such ex-pats on this page, although I think most of us try to guard our privacy for obvious reasons. I am pretty sure I don't know this guy (but I will check my contacts since just every business card I get is entered into my contacts and, many times, I cannot immediately link a face with a name), but others here may.

This sounds very ugly. Its also very dangerous if this, in fact, occurred and she skates.

Finally, why is the mother getting the child? It sounds like she was an accessory to murder and is turning state's evidence against her daughter to avoid the possibility of getting the needle. What about this guy's family. I certainly wouldn't trust the mother. And if he left everything to his child (and it does sound like he was attached to his child), the mother will get that money.

We need more information.

<< The accused widow told police she was tricked into marriage so that her husband could work in Thailand. >>

What malarkey! The guy was company manager for an international company. He didn't need any bimbo to get a visa.

Agree. This is absolute BS. I wonder if she thinks anyone will actually believe this nonsense. I wonder if anyone will?

This was a cold blooded premeditated murder. And this time the Thai perpetrator got caught. And when she got caught up she came up with a ridiculously preposterous excuse for her monstrous acts.

Agree. This is absolute BS. I wonder if she thinks anyone will actually believe this nonsense. I wonder if anyone will?

This was a cold blooded premeditated murder. And this time the Thai perpetrator got caught. And when she got caught up she came up with a ridiculously preposterous excuse for her monstrous acts.

And as I understand from the posted information it was not about the kid at all, but about money.

50,000 a month for doing nothing is nice money. Not many Thais make anything near that and many a month I don't either. I can see them not wanting to lose it. Instead, they went for it all.

This is now a front page story in the Bangkok Post. It's getting pretty heated, and I think this should be moved to the general discussion board?

Remember how we commented here that: (1) the mother of the alleged murderer had custody, (2) the mother of the alleged murder appears to have participated in the murder (but was now turning state's evidence against her daughter to avoid either serious jail time or a death sentence) and that made it dangerous to allow her custody of the child; (3) how this was probably all about money (because the child was a source of support payments); and (4) the deceased family should care for the child. Guess what, the deceased's family is now in Thailand and they want custody.

Recall that the ex-wife and alleged murderer tried to justify the murder by claiming that her foreign husband (the murder victim) only married her so he could stay in Thailand. This not only a ridiculous claim (this justifies murder?), but is implausible since the victim was the country manager of an international company and would have had no problem getting a visa and wok permit.

I guess they didn't realize this would not play well (at least to an audience that includes foreigners), and the new defense is that he mistreated the child. Not a hint of this until the story started to gain traction and attract some international attention.

Now this from the front page of the Bangkok Post:

"We don't know where he [the Boy] is - even the police don't know," Mr Duvel said. "We are seeking court advice for a child adoption plan."

The Duvel family visited Thailand yesterday to collect Oswald Duvel's body for a cremation ceremony.

Mr Duvel yesterday held a press conference in a bid to clear allegations made by his brother's wife that Oswald Duvel had mistreated the child.

"The allegation is ridiculous," he said said. "He has no chance to defend himself.

"He loved his son and would have laid down his life for his son. He had never raised his voice to him. He would in no way harm the child."

He said his brother had taken care of his wife's family after they were divorced.

No one knows where the Boy is now. Not even the police. How could that happen? His mother appears to have killed the father (along with her lover) and there was strong evidence that the ex-wife's mother also participated in the murder.

The brother now also confirms that the deceased was taking care of the wife's family after they divorced. Probably the child support payments.

Why wasn't the boy taken into protective custody in the first place? Recall prior reports that the mother - who seems to have participated in the murder and now intends to turn state's evidence to avoid what could very harsh punishment - had taken custody. Unless there is swift intervention and the boy is located, she can use the boy's safety as a bargaining chip to get the deceased family to back down.

This is appalling.

Unfortunately, it's not all apparent from today's story. To see how the ex-wife's story is changing the role of other family members and her "adopted brother" (one news report described him as the "new husband"), you need to have followed this story from the beginning.

I don't see this story going away soon. It's going to get worse before it gets better and people with short memories will forget what she said and did when the story first broke.

Recall that the ex-wife and alleged murderer tried to justify the murder by claiming that her foreign husband (the murder victim) only married her so he could stay in Thailand. This not only a ridiculous claim (this justifies murder?), but is implausible since the victim was the country manager of an international company and would have had no problem getting a visa and wok permit.

according to the victim's linkedin profile, posted earlier in this thread, he was the CEO of a company located in Singapore.

http://sg.linkedin.com/pub/oswald-duvel/6/181/a94

of cause this does not justify her arguments for the reason for their marriage

Archived