Chinese Girl Vanishes Into Sewer Hole During Storm

StoneSoup

On the many occasions when I have waded down flooded streets in Bangkok, the thought of dropping into an open manhole often crossed my mind.

It happened recently in China - to a passably cute girl, in a country that is already several million females short:

shttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2298765/Fears-woman-21-missing-48-hours-falling-manhole-sewers-storm.html

Back in my Peace Corps days, a volunteer couple I knew were on holiday in Wiengchan. It had rained a bit, and the streets had puddles. The gal stepped off the curb into one and immediately sank up to her waist. She was quite pissed off that instead of helping her out, the guy was splitting his sides in laughter.

Happens pretty much every flood we have in Oz - even localised flooding. The difference is that we have idiots who deliberately play in the stormwater drains - Darwin would be proud. Jakarta was nastier than anything I've encountered here - found myself in water up to my chest (you can imagine where it was on the Indonesians !) after a downpour completely flooded the Plaza Indonesia carpark and most of the surrounding streets. Of all the places to put megacities, Asia has to be one of the worst .......

Archived