To wai or not to wai ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taipan said :

it costs nothing to be polite

Thanks, Taipan, SBoot and HT - very helpful perspectives, and I think the polite nod and a greeting were, indeed, my best options.

Anyone who has seen 'Mr Bean meets the Queen' will know how dangerous bwoing can be :}

I've always been told best to just stay away from it unless you really know what you're going. Different positions of hands for different protocols, so possibility of offending does exist. Of course if you're going to meet long time g/f's parents, would be polite to learn correct way for that situation as a sign of respect, and to show you are not your usual run-of-the-mill 'stupid falang'.

I forgot to mention my other tragic attempt at humour in the face of an unusual custom.

The front gate at the resort had security guys who dressed very similarly to Thai Police. When a Farang entered, they would throw him/her a crisp salute. Having previously spent several years in the Australian Army, and several hours in a nearby bar, I decided to break the golden rule - saluting whilst in civilian attire (not to mention saluting whilst no longer a serving member of the Australian Army, and saluting someone who was, effectively, a civilian ...).

As our friend has stepped from the sentry box and thrown his salute, I have whipped my left arm to a prone position next to my side, spun my head to the right and thrown my own 'boxer' in return. At no stage in the few seconds of this charade has our sentry faltered in his salute - no smile, nothing. Not even as I marched, John Cleese style, straight into an errant shrub.

Thailand 1, Private Parts 0.

SanukBoot

>From a western perspective a hello would be sufficient and if you wanted to impress you would return with a Sawadee Krub, Sabaai mai krub? Which is hello, are you feeling good?

Actually just 'Sawadee Krub' is sufficient. We don't ask anyone in this situation (serving us) equivilant to 'how do you do' .

But if you really want to say that you should say 'Sabai dee ruae krub? ʺÒ´ÕËÃ×äÃѺ The word 'ruae ËÃ×Ã' is pretty hard to pronounce though.

GTG

SanukBoot,

From what I learned in school, it's like this:

There are 4 levels to put the hands when you wai.

The Three Gem (Buddha image, his teaching, and the monks)

thumbs should be at the level of the eyebrow

fingertips should be at the level of the area where your hair and your forehead meet ( I don't know how to explain it; I hope you know what I mean. This case if you're not bold too.)

>Senior Person

thumbs should be at the level of the nose

fingertips should be at the level of the eyebrow(obviously depends how big your hand is)

You're right here. Senior person includes your teachers.

>Normal Person

Thumbs will be at the level of the chin

Fingertips at the level of the nose (again obviously dependant how big your hand is)

Normal person should be the ones who are the same level as you, like your friends.

The last one is the junior person

You put your hands together like when you wai normally but put them in the midle in front of your chest.

This is the correct protocal.

And I don't think 'wai' is a Buddism thing. It's the way we show our respect to others.

GTG

New Petchburi Pete

>I thought the 'wai' was a gesture. Does using it (or not ...

depending upon relations) imply that words should be also spoken when using the wai?

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly. If you're asking whether you should say 'wai' while you are waiing, the answer is NO. You say Sawaddee krub or sth else.

GTG

Archived