Versace Tailors - Sukumvit Rd

I have seen on another board that Versace Tailors on Sukumvit Rd are good in terms of qualtiy of cloth, price and reliability of service etc.

Can anyone confirm this for me as I would like to have a copule of suits made during my forth coming visit.

Taipan

As far as quality goes, 90 % of all clothes bought from Bangkok tailors are made in the same handful of factories... each shop doesnt make their own clothes on premises... you might get different prices and service but the clothes will be pretty much the same.

Regards

Hehehe....Versace huh?

This place must be owned by Gianni Versace's younger brother "Bubba Versace" :)

Seriously though, you are probably right about BKK tailors.

I had 2 suits and a tux jacket "made" by Taj Mahal Clothiers (Yes, Right next to Nana Plaza, so I'm lazy!)

All that the Sikh tailor (all the BKK tailor's I've seen have been Sikh's) did was measure me and ask my perference in fabric. I accidentally got there a bit early for the final fitting, so I got to see my almost finished suit enter and leave the store via a motorbike! ::

I can't complain about the finished product, the quality and fit seemed better than others I've seen at the "Men's Warehouse" and other places here in the states.

-=/NN

Taipan,

Wherever you go avoid going "cheap". Avoid advertised package deals as they use cheap fabrics. The tailors will try to talk you out of the package deal, partly because they know you won't be satisfied after they are done!

Make sure you get to examine the cloth your suits will be made from. I wouldn't pay the entire bill until after at least the first fitting. (That way they will be less likely to switch the fabrics on you, not sure this is a problem in Thailand.... but....)

-=/NN

Says Taipan:

I have seen on another board that Versace Tailors on Sukumvit Rd are good in terms of qualtiy of cloth, price and reliability of service etc.

Can anyone confirm this for me as I would like to have a copule of suits made during my forth coming visit.

Taipan

Not so sure about this tailor, but I saw interesting article in a British newspaper about a guy who flew around the world and had suits made in 3 cities - Dubai, Hong Kong & Bangkok. He then took them back to one of top bespoke tailors in London and asked their opinion about fabric, stitching, overall value for money. Overall, the top tailor was not overly impressed. His opinion was that if you want to spend around $200-500 US$ on a suit, you are far better off going to a decent store and buying a ready made suit where the stitching has been done by a computer controlled machine. He said you get far better material and quality. Nobody in this price range can stitch better than a machine (interesting thought). I go to a tailor in bangkok for shirts every 9 months or so and last week I repeated this story and added that for me, I buy 3 suits every January at the Hugo Boss Store in Singapore, during their sale. I told him I pay around US$280 per suit and he said that he would do the same at that price (Hugo Boss in SIN, reduce all their suits by 50%, every style and no last minute buy ins for quick clearance). His suits cannot compare with that level of quality and overall value for money. Decent suits are easy to get changed by the inhouse tailor and mine fit perfectly with a little alteration.

On another token, I have been into a couple of tailors shops in Bangkok and always had my worst fears confirmed when guys are trying on suits, jackets etc that look and fit really bad - however in most cases the buyer has no idea what they are looking for in terms of fit, quality etc. One guy had so much stuffing on his shoulders he looked like a hunchback, but the tailor kept saying oh what a lovely fit and of course the buyer agreed. What he could not see it that the jacket did not hang proporly and was slanted to one side as well as the arms not being the same length relative to his size. A real shocker and it was not even cheap as the guy passed over about 10,000 baht which is probably the final payment having already paid a deposit.

Cheers

Archived