Thai language for newbies

Word list. I'm down to 'E's but haven't crossed referenced yet, so there is stuff missing. :banghead: I tested the print out, and every word is on just one line (doesn't need to wrap, like it looks here). That's why some examples are very short. I'm trying to keep all words on a single line of text. If someone could try and print this out, and post results, I would appreciate it, just to see if it prints out good for everybody. Hate to do any more work, and have it print out differently on other systems. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I/Me (male) = Poem (sl- it looks) (Phom®) is what males say to refer to themselves.

I/Me (female) = Shan (sl- it looks) (Chun*(h)) is how females refer to themselves.

You = Coon (sl- it looks) (Khun*(m)) is the word for 'you'.

You = Ter (sl- it looks) (Thoe(m)) This is an informal word for 'you'. Used between intimates.

Us = Rao (rw- cow) (Rao*(m) "Rao bye.... " = "We go...."

Them/her/him = Cow (sl-cow) (Khao*®) is the word for he, she, them, they, her, him.

Tourist = Falang (sl- just as it looks, with the 'a' as in 'father). (Farang(m)) Not impolite.

Man = Poo-chy (rw- do-pie) (puu-chai*(m)) means male.

Woman = Poo-ying (sl- it looks) (Phuu(f)-ying*®) Poo-ying means woman, or girl.

Polite tag = Crop (for male) (sl- it looks) (Khrap*(h)

Polite tag = Ka (for female) (rw- pa) (Ka*(f))

Na = Na (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (Na(h)) slang word used to emphasize.

Na = Can also be an informal question tag. "A-loy na" = "delicious, yea?"

Maak = emphasis word (rw- lock) (maak(m)) Like 'na', maak is used to add emphasis.

Mai = My (sl- it looks) (end of sentence, mai*(h)) (in front of word, mai*(f))

Hello = Sa-wat-dee (sl- as it looks, with 'a's sounding same, as in 'father') (Sa*-wat*(l)-dee).

Yes = Chy (rw- buy) ( chai*(f)) Chy, rao bye = Yes, we go.

No = My chy (rw- my buy) ( mai*(f) chai*(f))

Thank you = cop coon crop (sl- it looks) (khawp*(l) khun khrap*(h)).

A little = nit noy (rw- pit toy) (nit*(h) noi*(l)) Poem chop nit noy = I like little bit (amount)

A lot = Maak (rw- rock) (maak(m)) Poem aw maak = I want a lot.

Afraid = Glua (sl- glue-a) (Glua(m)) Coon glua my = You afraid?

Again = Eek (sl- geek w/out 'g') (eek(l)) Also means: 'another/more'.

Agree = hen do-oy (sl- it looks) (hen® duay(f)) poem hen do-oy = I agree / add 'my' to 'not agree'

Age = a-you (sl- it looks) (aay-u(h)) Example: Coon a-you, a-lie? = Your age, what?

Alone = Cone dio (rw- bone leo) (kon* dio(m)) Coon cone dio my = You alone, are you?

Bad/not good = My dee (sl- it looks) (mai*(f) dee(m)) Cow my dee = They/her/him not good.

Beautiful = Su-ay (sl- Sue-'a') (Suay®) Coon su-ay maak = You(re) very beautiful.

Big = Yai (rw- pie) (Yai*(l)) Rao yai maak = She/he big too much

Boy/girlfriend = Fan (sl- it looks) (Faen(m)) Poem by gop poem fan = I go with my girlfriend.

Bring = aw ma (aw = now w/out 'n' / ma = rw- ha) (ao* ma(m)) poem aw ma beer = I bring beer.

Buy = Sue (sl- it looks) (Seu(h)) Poem bye sue coon beer = I go buy you beer.

Can/Cannot = Die (sl- it looks) (dai(f)) Die = can. / My die = not can = cannot.

Cheap = Took (sl- it looks) (Thuk(l)) Coon took maak maak = You cheap, to much.

Come = ma (rw- ha) (Ma(m)) Coon my ma = You not come.

Comfortable = Sa-bye (sl- it looks) (Sa*-bai(m). Poem sa-bye = I (am) comfortable.

Crazy = Baa (sl- sound sheep make) (Baa(f)) Rao baa maak maak = She/he crazy, too much.

Crazy = Baa Baa Bow Bow (sl- it looks) slang for crazy. Use same as above.

Crazy = ting tong, ha-sip ha-sip (lit. 50/50). Both slang for little bit crazy.

Cute = na rock (sl- it looks) (na(f) rak*(h) Cow na rock maak = She cute very much.

Delicious = a-loy (sl- it sounds) (a*(m)-roi(l)) nan a-loy my= That delicious, is it?

Do/make = Tom (sl- it looks) (Tham*)) Coon tom a-lie = You doing/making what?

Drunk = Mao (rw- now) (Mao*(m)) Rao mao maak maak = We drunk too mutt. ::

Drink = Doom (sl- it looks) (Deum(l)) Poem ao doom beer = I like drink beer.

Eat = Gin cow (rw- bin cow) (lit. eat rice) (Gin*(m) khao(f)) Rao bye gin cow = We go eat.

I Would like = Car (sl- it looks) (khor®) Use this word to order something.

Have = me (mee) (sl- it looks) Poem me baht = I have baht.

Give = Hi (sl- it looks) (Hai*(f) Poem hai nee coon = I give this (to) you.

Go = bye (bai*) (sl- it looks) Example: Poem chop bye = I like go.

Good = Dee (rw- tea) (Dee(m)) Means ?good?. (my dee = not good)

How much? = ......Towel-lie (thao*(f)-rai*(l)) Example: Nan towel-lie = That, how much?

Like = chop (sl- it looks) (chawp(f)) Example: Poem chop rao = I like her/them

Name = Chew (sl- it looks) (cheu(f)) Example: Coon chew a-lie = You name what?

This = Nee

That = Nan

Want = aw (ao*) (sl- 'now' without the 'n') 'aw = 'want' ('my aw' = 'not want').

Where is?.... = ....you tea-nai (rw- you tea-pie) (yoo(l) tee(f)-nai*®)

What = A-lie (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (a*-rai*) 'Nee a-lie' = This (is)what?

With = Gop (rw- cop) (Gap*(l)) Poem bye gop coon = I go with you.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick Lesson #3 Maak, Good, What, Can, Yes, Na, Age, Name

Have a nice weekend? Let's continue.

Quick Lesson #3

Na (slang) = Na (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (Na(h)) This is a slang word used to emphasize, and make polite. Na can also be used as an informal question tag. "A-loy na" = "Delicious, yea"?

Maak = emphasis word (rw- lock) (maak(m)) Like 'na', maak is used to add emphasis. "Rao dee" = "We good". "Rao dee maak" = "We are good very much so". You can say it twice, for even more emphasis. "Rao dee maak-maak!" = "We good very, very, much".

What = A-lie (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (a*-rai*) In Thai, lots of times you make a statement, and then at the end, ask whether true, correct, what it is, etc. Asking what something is, is usually done by stating the object, then ask what it is. Examples: Nee a-lie = this what? Nan a-lie = That what? If you're speaking to your tilac (girlfriend), and she says, "A-lie na", she is asking what you just said. She is saying "What?" (a-lie) with na, to emphasize confusion, or emphasis. You will say/hear this a lot. Just to confuse you a little bit "my me a-lie" = "not have what" = "Nothing".

Yes/No = Chy (rw- buy) ( chai*(f)) This means 'yes', in Thai. There is no word for 'no' in Thai, due to it not being good to refuse any request, so 'No' is "my chy" = "not yes".

Good/Not good = Dee (rw- tea) (Dee(m)) Means 'good'. 'My dee' = 'Not good'. Example: "Cow Dee" = "(she/him/they) is good". "Rao my dee" = "We not good".

Can/Cannot = Die (sl- it looks) (dai(f)) 'Die' = 'can'. / 'My die' = 'not can' = 'cannot' / 'Die my' = 'can ? ('can' w/question mark). Example: "Coon by long lamb, die my"= "You go hotel, can you?". She then says, "my die" = 'cannot'.

Name = Chew (sl- it looks) (cheu(f)) Example: "Coon chew a-lie" = "You name what?" = "What is your name?". She would then answer, "Shan chew Noi, kaa" = "My name is Noi, kaa". (Ka is the female polite tag, and the longer they stretch it out, the better. Trust me) Your polite tag, 'crop', should be very quick, so you don't sound feminine.

Age = a-you (sl- it looks) (aay-u(h) Example: "Coon a-you, a-lie"? = "your age is what?"

Pop quiz: Coon chew a-lie? A-lie na? Noi, coon bye bar, die my? = You(re) name (is) what? What (did you say)? Noi, you go(leave) bar, can you?

OK fellow punters, now we're getting some where. Only 2 more lessons to go. Next will be: With, Who, How many, Meet, Now, Do/Make.

Word list. I'm down to 'E's but haven't crossed referenced yet, so there is stuff missing. I tested the print out, and every word is on just one line (doesn't need to wrap, like it looks here). That's why some examples are very short. I'm trying to keep all words on a single line of text. If someone could try and print this out, and post results, I would appreciate it, just to see if it prints out good for everybody. Hate to do any more work, and have it print out differently on other systems. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I/Me (male) = Poem (sl- it looks) (Phom®) is what males say to refer to themselves.

I/Me (female) = Shan (sl- it looks) (Chun*(h)) is how females refer to themselves.

You = Coon (sl- it looks) (Khun*(m)) is the word for 'you'.

You = Ter (sl- it looks) (Thoe(m)) This is an informal word for 'you'. Used between intimates.

Us = Rao (rw- cow) (Rao*(m) "Rao bye.... " = "We go...."

Them/her/him = Cow (sl-cow) (Khao*®) is the word for he, she, them, they, her, him.

Tourist = Falang (sl- just as it looks, with the 'a' as in 'father). (Farang(m)) Not impolite.

Man = Poo-chy (rw- do-pie) (puu-chai*(m)) means male.

Woman = Poo-ying (sl- it looks) (Phuu(f)-ying*®) Poo-ying means woman, or girl.

Polite tag = Crop (for male) (sl- it looks) (Khrap*(h)

Polite tag = Ka (for female) (rw- pa) (Ka*(f))

Na = Na (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (Na(h)) slang word used to emphasize.

Na = Can also be an informal question tag. "A-loy na" = "delicious, yea?"

Maak = emphasis word (rw- lock) (maak(m)) Like 'na', maak is used to add emphasis.

Mai = My (sl- it looks) (end of sentence, mai*(h)) (in front of word, mai*(f))

Hello = Sa-wat-dee (sl- as it looks, with 'a's sounding same, as in 'father') (Sa*-wat*(l)-dee).

Yes = Chy (rw- buy) ( chai*(f)) Chy, rao bye = Yes, we go.

No = My chy (rw- my buy) ( mai*(f) chai*(f))

Thank you = cop coon crop (sl- it looks) (khawp*(l) khun khrap*(h)).

A little = nit noy (rw- pit toy) (nit*(h) noi*(l)) Poem chop nit noy = I like little bit (amount)

A lot = Maak (rw- rock) (maak(m)) Poem aw maak = I want a lot.

Afraid = Glua (sl- glue-a) (Glua(m)) Coon glua my = You afraid?

Again = Eek (sl- geek w/out 'g') (eek(l)) Also means: 'another/more'.

Agree = hen do-oy (sl- it looks) (hen® duay(f)) poem hen do-oy = I agree / add 'my' to 'not agree'

Age = a-you (sl- it looks) (aay-u(h)) Example: Coon a-you, a-lie? = Your age, what?

Alone = Cone dio (rw- bone leo) (kon* dio(m)) Coon cone dio my = You alone, are you?

Bad/not good = My dee (sl- it looks) (mai*(f) dee(m)) Cow my dee = They/her/him not good.

Beautiful = Su-ay (sl- Sue-'a') (Suay®) Coon su-ay maak = You(re) very beautiful.

Big = Yai (rw- pie) (Yai*(l)) Cow yai maak = She/he big too much

Boy/girlfriend = Fan (sl- it looks) (Faen(m)) Poem by gop poem fan = I go with my girlfriend.

Bring = aw ma (aw = now w/out 'n' / ma = rw- ha) (ao* ma(m)) poem aw ma beer = I bring beer.

Buy = Sue (sl- it looks) (Seu(h)) Poem bye sue coon beer = I go buy you beer.

Can/Cannot = Die (sl- it looks) (dai(f)) Die = can. / My die = not can = cannot.

Cheap = Took (sl- it looks) (Thuk(l)) Coon took maak maak = You cheap, to much.

Come = ma (rw- ha) (Ma(m)) Coon my ma = You not come.

Comfortable = Sa-bye (sl- it looks) (Sa*-bai(m). Poem sa-bye = I (am) comfortable.

Crazy = Baa (sl- sound sheep make) (Baa(f)) Cow baa maak maak = She/he crazy, too much.

Crazy = Baa Baa Bow Bow (sl- it looks) slang for crazy. Use same as above.

Crazy = ting tong, ha-sip ha-sip (lit. 50/50). Both slang for little bit crazy.

Cute = na rock (sl- it looks) (na(f) rak*(h) Cow na rock maak = She cute very much.

Delicious = a-loy (sl- it sounds) (a*(m)-roi(l)) nan a-loy my= That delicious, is it?

Do/make = Tom (sl- it looks) (Tham*)) Coon tom a-lie = You doing/making what?

Drunk = Mao (rw- now) (Mao*(m)) Rao mao maak maak = We drunk too mutt.

Eat = Gin cow (rw- bin cow) (lit. eat rice) (Gin*(m) khao(f)) Rao bye gin cow = We go eat.

I Would like = Car (sl- it looks) (khor®) Use this word to order something.

Have = me (mee) (sl- it looks) Poem me baht = I have baht.

Give = Hi (sl- it looks) (Hai*(f) Poem hai nee coon = I give this (to) you.

Go = bye (bai*) (sl- it looks) Example: Poem chop bye = I like go.

Good = Dee (rw- tea) (Dee(m)) Means 'good'. (my dee = not good)

How much? = ......Towel-lie (thao*(f)-rai*(l)) Example: Nan towel-lie = That, how much?

Like = chop (sl- it looks) (chawp(f)) Example: Poem chop rao = I like her/them

Name = Chew (sl- it looks) (cheu(f)) Example: Coon chew a-lie = You name what?

This = Nee

That = Nan

Want = aw (ao*) (sl- 'now' without the 'n') 'aw = 'want' ('my aw' = 'not want').

Where is?.... = ....you tea-nai (rw- you tea-pie) (yoo(l) tee(f)-nai*®)

What = A-lie (sl- it looks, with 'a' sound as in 'father') (a*-rai*) 'Nee a-lie' = This (is)what?

With = Gop (rw- cop) (Gap*(l)) Poem bye gop coon = I go with you.

Thanks HT. As promised here is my look at.

Overall really good, but I find the format to be a tad confusing, overly wordy and eventually annoying.

I don't think you need to keep repeating (sl-it looks) or

(sl-xxx). It grates some of my nerves.

I prefer the tranditional transliteration to come first, and the new one 2nd.(Opps see you are doing that mostly now)

Perhaps the use of colour could simpify it.

eg.

Drink = deum ( [color:"red"]doom [/color] ) I like to drink beer= poem ao doon beer

english always first

also feel that the use of capital letters be avoided as much as possible (proper names etc. only)

A few other whines; I don't think tourist and farang equate.

farang and white guy or european or caucassion OK. Most BGs know tourist or say "you holiday" to differenciate from expats, "you work Thailand"

Sabai always means happy, not comforatable IMO

another eg

(a) little = nit (h) noi (l) ( [color:"red"]nit noy [/color] ) I like a little bit = poem chop nit noy

keep the "a' in a little out of the word or we'll be looking forever to find it on the list. :grinyes:

Hope some of this helps. :applause:

I'm sure many will contribute. :bow:

Overall really good, but I find the format to be a tad confusing, overly wordy and eventually annoying.

Here's my thought process. This whole thing is for a newbie who don't know jack-sh** about Thai, so word he need to look up is first, of course. Next how it sounds in English, as is the most important purpose of this. If punter can read traditional transliteration, and knows the Thai vowel sounds, then wouldn't need this. He'd just have a Thai phrase book he could look at. Purpose is for a newbie to be in a bar, or hotel room, and be able to know how 'na rak' sounds. He might think 'naw rake'. The recipient simply will not understand. He does not know vowel sounds, and tone marks. Only reason I have trad. translit. is for someone who might find useful as thier learning curve increases, but is the least important thing there.

I don't think you need to keep repeating (sl-it looks) or

(sl-xxx). It grates some of my nerves.

Would be nice, but there are many Thai words that just simply can't be matched up with an equivalent English word. 'Yang' comes to mind. I guarantee you an American will pronounce as in 'gang' (ying and yang), and there is just no other way to spell it. No other way to explain without a "sound like", or "rhyme with". I'm totally open to suggestions.

I prefer the tranditional transliteration to come first, and the new one 2nd.(Opps see you are doing that mostly now)

Perhaps the use of colour could simpify it.

Great idea!

eg.

Drink = deum ( doom ) I like to drink beer= poem ao doon beer

english always first

Can do.

also feel that the use of capital letters be avoided as much as possible (proper names etc. only)

Can do.

A few other whines; I don't think tourist and farang equate.

farang and white guy or european or caucassion OK. Most BGs know tourist or say "you holiday" to differenciate from expats, "you work Thailand"

I agree, but don't know the best word. Maybe wait for some input. :dunno:

Sabai always means happy, not comforatable IMO

My book has comfortable=sabai, and sabai=well, comfortable, easily. :dunno:

another eg

(a) little = nit (h) noi (l) ( nit noy ) I like a little bit = poem chop nit noy

keep the "a' in a little out of the word or we'll be looking forever to find it on the list.

Another good idea.

Thanks dude. Good suggestions. I'll get to work on them soon. :hug:

BTW, I have two word list posts. You can't edit a post after 24 hrs., or something, and have asked Stick to remove first one. I gotta talk to KS asbout this. Only way to go back and make revisions is to cut and paste into a new thread. Maybe I'll ask him to sign me on as an invisible mod, until this is finished, so I can edit this stuff, and delete old revised posts.

HT

Thanks mate (mate= now there's word to try explaining to asians with dictionaries learning english. most of them think we're either married or shagging each other. "Why go call him mate ? I think you like girls yes?)

Sorry, I get brainfarts.

Definately a work in progress. And a good work at that. :applause:

I think the change post window is more like 10 minutes. :dunno:

Too bad it's such a bitch to post colour on UBB. Oh well. :doah:

Look forward to more lessons. :bow:

Just a short note to say thanks for all your hard work on this project, I have been printing everything off and keeping in a seperate file to read and review.

Along with the other methods I am using I feel I am getting better day by day. :applause:

lovethai :D

Archived