Health Insurance for TGF

think_too_mut

OK...I have health insurance here and wanted my GF to have the same in LOS.

We went to BUPA and they presented us all their plans and prices.

It all looked good. They give you everuthing you may never need (open heart surgery and similar) but everyday's things are charged ...well nothing much different from what farang insurance companies do.

Waiting periods - similar. For maternity related costs - 280 days. Cool.

No dental costs are covered at all. Shame.

No sinuses. Nothing you might really need.

There is no maternity related insurance unless we both sign up on the spot.

My question was - what if she's pregnant in 3 years...we would have more than 280 days in our record?

No. We had to sign up right on the spot. The cost: 28K baht for her (platinum coverage) and 48K for me. Each year. I don't live there - irrelevant.

Is there any way that her waiting period can be transferred to another country?

No.

From what I read on the board, the most expensive was Bumrungrad, 80K or so. That's less than what the insurance wants and we would still have to pay some share of it.

So, nothing happened. She is uninsured.

(my gf had to translate to BUPA's "educated GTG" sales executive. The officer had all the rights - even called drinks to be served to us)

What do you expats do? Enjoy your health and not rely on BUPA, sleep well knowing you are insured?

Were we on the wrong foot with a wrong person?

Can't speak for most expats as have US insurance but most Thai 'self insure' using the extended family if they do not have coverage from their job. Insurance is not something that most Thai have much faith in, as their experience is not being able to collect without connections.

Believe some hospitals have plans somewhat like HMO's available so that could be something to check on - but that would be only useful here. Government hospital care is charged on ability to pay so a person earning a small income does not pay much for normal care. They also have started the 30 baht system so she should register for that if she has not already.

As an example of normal price at a private hospital (not the most expensive expat type):

"1. For Beloved Baby Program (Special Price Delivery Program)

Natural Child Birth 19,000 Baht

Operating Delivery 29,000 Baht"

Ladprao Hospital Delivery

Archived