GP letdown

"Do you think this is a seasonal thing, and do you think they will lower prices again when demand diminishes in the spring?"

The email response I received from them indicated no willingness to negotiate a lower price despite me spending about 70 nights there during the past 2 years. I like the locatin and facilities, but personally am ready for another hotel given these increases and the general decrease in room quality over the past 2 years.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Shotover and I will be looking for rooms elsewhere.

In addition to what i consider high room rate GP has some other problems. One thing I hated was travelling all the way to Thailand and finally getting into bed for some sleep only to be troubled by the noise of birlds landing on the the lower roofs. I don't mean the aviary at the Swiss Park I mean wild birds swooping in and making a horrible loud noise. This could easily have been solved with some netting on the lower parapets but the GP seem happy to let their guests be disturbed. When I complained to reception they knew about the problem and in fairness did move me but haven't resolved the root problem.

I had the same thing happen regarding the surcharge and I had them write on my bill the 5% was a Charge for using the CC then sent a copy to the CC company Mastercard in this case and they gave me a credit back for the surcharge and charged it back to the hotel. I was told that the business's that accept Mastercard and Visa are not supposed to charge a surcharge when using there card. Another interesting note there is not supposed to be a Min amount either you should be able to charge ANY amount no matter how small.

I think we should all boycott the GP for the time Being, and let see how much business they will lose. I use to stay there all the time about 4 times a year for about 3 weeks at a time, but no more, also we should send Email to them telling them that we are not going to be staying there anymore.

Just my 2 cents worth

Chuckles

Stumpbog wrote:

"I have to agree with Shotover and I will be looking for rooms elsewhere."

I completely agree. Stayed there for one night late January and cost 1595 baht for a Topaz suite room (old rate was 1320 baht). Also made a (verbal) reservation for a few days later and when I came to check in (a few days later) they said they had no record of my reservation, were full and could not do anything for me ::

Tried to offer me a discounted rate at their new place (Solitaire???) at a price of 2500 baht (!!!!!!) but turned it down.

It was only when I complained to the "manager" that they found me a room which had a very small bathroom. I must admit I was a bit pissed off with them and will seriously look for alternative accomodation for my next trip in April.

Cheers

Fatbastard33

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced the same problem. I paid 1320 a night in early January. Came back 10 days later and the price was 1595. Then again, that's a little over US$37. If you pay in Euros, you get an even better deal.

I would have complained about the price increase, but I was given one of the corner rooms in Tower 3 - essentially, one of the nicer Topaz suites. The staff called them the Jade suites. I felt the room was well worth the price.

All in all, I still think the GP is a good deal given it's location, price, service, and quality of rooms. I recently saw it advertised on a US web site as a 4 star hotel with a price tag of US$75. If that advertising works, expect more price increases in the future.

If you find comparable hotels (location, service, and quality) that are better value, all of us would like to know.

Well I have just emailed GP asking for their rates for March for a fortcoming trip and they replied asking for my full name before they would quote me a rate. Very strange. I replied with my details and was quoted the 1,800 per night which could be discounted by 20% but was subject to a 10% service charge.

I now consider GP to be too expensive and will look elsewhere. As a comparison, I sent the same email without my full name to the Royal President who haven't bothered to reply at all and to the Omni who replied within 4 hours quoting rates for all their properties in BKK.

Archived