Money transfer to Thailand - Thai way!

For those of you who have Thai wives/grilfriends/friends... and you live outside of Thailand, but, have financial obligations in the Kingdom could you please let me know whether your TG transfers money through traditional banking mechanisms (i.e Telegraphic Transfer with local bank) or whether she uses the local Thai "grocery shop"....

The example I have is:

The local market where we live in HKG has a Thai grocery store where you can pick up all sorts of diferent thai products that are not availale in the standard supermarkets.....Now one of the services offered by the grocery store is money transfers.....So in our case we needed to pay an annual fee for a membership in Thailand, so, my wife goes to the local "grocery store" and asks them to transfer xx thousand baht to a certain account in Bangkok.

Sure enough, 2 days later money recieved in Bangkok with a total cost of HKD 40. If I did this through the Bank it would have cost 200 HKD.

I just wonder how many other people have experienced this method ?

SB.

Easiest way to provide money to your gf or wife or whatever in Thailand is to give her an ATM card with access to an account you control. Then just put the money in and she can take out whatever she needs. You have total control and the fees are not expensive on ATM withdrawals, least not when I do it myself on another account (US based)

the point of the post was how to meet your financial obligations (not to family) when your Thai Wife/girlfriend/friend and you are NOT in Thailand....

I think you are looking at the scenario of Farang in Farangland and TG in Thailand.

SB.

Recently I came across an Interpol report that describes this system - an alternative banking system that relies on the bonds within an ethnic subgroup in Asia. The link is at:

http://www.interpol.int/Public/FinancialCrime/MoneyLaundering/EthnicMoney/default.asp

The report is mostly about how money is laundered using this system. Of course, these systems must be coming under scrutiny these days as a possible means of banking service for terrorism.

I think the ATM card is an excellent suggestion. You should shop around in your home country for a bank that offers a debit card with zero or very low fees, and can be used internationally (i.e. on the Plus or Cirrus system).

Harlequin

>For those of you who have Thai wives/grilfriends/friends... and you live outside of Thailand, but, have financial obligations in the Kingdom could you please let me know whether your TG transfers money through traditional banking mechanisms (i.e Telegraphic Transfer with local bank) or whether she uses the local Thai "grocery shop"....

Sending her an ATM card from the account you opened in your name is one option. Withdrawals are 50bahts but some banks do not charge if the money is taken out of ATMS of the banks in the same chain.

Another way is - she can set an account with, say, BKK bank and you can use Internet to move money from yours to the new account. 7-9 US$ per transfer, takes 2 business days to settle.

Just edited my post - I did not understand that the money could be going to someone unable to use ATM (old parents) or for paying a monthly repayment for something.

Anyway, HSBC is pretty big in Thailand...

Archived