Riding Motor Bikes in Pattaya

walletss

There is a good travel agent just 3 doors up the road from Kiss Café on second road, I always get my bike from there, but be careful if you go to Nong Nooch to see Pattaya Gardens and Buddha on the mountain, on the way back to Pattaya there is a Policeman near the Lotus shopping center who loves to book Farangs if you don?t have an international drivers license he will hit you with a 100 Bhat to 200 Bhat fine and put the money in his pocket, under paid cop.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I think the people who tell you not to rent one, do not have a great experience or comfort to ride a bike in Thailand, and that's OK, but give it a try, and decide by yourself."

I love riding small motos in the rural areas of Thailand. The cities (I've only ridden for a short while in Chiang Mai) make me nervous due to the heavy traffic, multiple intersections, and cops. The one thing I am nervous regarding moto rentals in Thailand is the potential liability should you have an accident or damage the bike in any way. I know you can buy insurance, but the farang could be at a disadvantage should the insurance company or bike owners decide to twist things to benefit themselves. The answer to this for those living in Thailand is to buy their own moto.

I'm very cautious when I drive, and love the feeling and freedom of driving in the countryside.

I would also recommend renting a bike if you are an experienced rider and somewhere else than in Pattaya. But if never rode before...not so sure. Seen too many accidents and tourists with injuries. When visiting Ko Samui I have always rented a bike and it's definitely the best way to explore the island.

In Pattaya I've never rented one, mostly because when in Pattaya I'm usually too drunk or hung over to drive anyway :drunk::o

Also remember to wear a helmet. Cops tried to quote a ridicilous sum of money from my newbie friend when caught driving without one. Luckily with the help of our hotel staff he finally negotiated the sum to the normal level which was a couple hundred bahts I remember.

If you are hiring a bike simply for the "cool" factor then it's not worth it. The automatic bikes may look a doddle to ride, which they are, but your road sense needs to be 110% ALL THE TIME.

Accidents are two a penny. My GF has just lost a relative in Pattaya through a bike accident and the falang is in intensive care. Why, because some arsehole in a pick up decided to shunt them from behind whilst they were stationary!

The trusty Honda Wave is a god send to locals. Christ they learn to ride them from an early age and the whole riding experience is second nature to them. Take it easy if you decide to play roulette with a coffin on wheels!

Hi Wallets,

a few things that make driving a Honda Dream or equivelent (not even talking aboiut a bigger engine here) dangerous is first of all driving drunk. Also consider the fact that in Thailand you have to drive on the left side of the road, for you silly (hehehe) Brits and Ozzies no big deal but for all the Euros and Yanks a new thing!! Sand on the roads, especially in curves (never use the front break in a curve!!) and stray dogs jumping in front of your bike.

Throw into this equation the quality of driving ability of the average Thai and you have a potential dangerous situation on hands.

However, P127 pointed out correctly that it's great fun. Drive slowly and don't drive drunk and you'll have a blast. get accostumed to your bike and go for it and oh yeah, make sure you have the proper insurances!!!

Even if you consider yourself a very good driver, that doesn't account for anything here, there's always a Thai driver who'll surprise the friggin heel out of you with an unexpected, unreal move or your average tourist going haywire on his bike.

Good luck and have fun though.

Limbo

Do you wan't me to draw a sketch :D

A Toyota Tiger 4x4 motor car (similar or approved pick-up) hit the back of the motor cycle whilst it had stopped (stationary) at some traffic lights. This caused inertia ( a shunt) and catapaulted the girl over the front of the bike. :rolleyes:

I think most of the words are in the Longmans "Advanced" American dictionary :neener:

I've ridden a motorcycle through a fair amount of Cambodia; in rural areas and fighting the traffic in Phnom Penh. But, I'd _never_ ride a motor bike...or motorcycle in Pattaya. Too many idiots on the road, to include the farangs who rent high-powered crotch rockets to race through the congested traffic. Also, I'm not use to driving on the left-hand side of the road. One mistake and you're someone's hood ornament!

Last December a regular poster on Pattayalovers, " Winston" suffered a horrible death.

He was driving home onw night when a Baht bus slammed on its brakes to pick up a fair. Winston smashed in to the back and was taken to a local hospital.

He was going to lose his leg, unless he was evacuated to USA, he suffered a huge heart attack whilst he was wheeled on to the plane at Bkk.

He wasnt very old either, incidentally all his valuables, such as Omega watch, chains etc where stolen from him whilst he was delirious at the hospital!!

His credit card was also stolen from him and maxed out, this guy wasnt a tourist but a Pattaya expat so to speak.

Incidentally as a contrast to the behavour of some Thais, the Farang board members of pattayalovers paid for his medical evacuation and for a doctor to accompany him on the flight ( a board member incidentally), in vain though unfortunately.

STH

Archived