Warnie Quits One Dayers

A sad day for the shortened version of the game indeed. Although many (including purists like myself) prefer to see the art of leg spin in the test arena, this is no doubt a heavy blow to Australia post-world cup as Warne's ability to adapt to the shorter game has meant dominance in this form of the game too.

Warne to concentrate on Tests after World Cup

AAP - 22 January 2003

SYDNEY - Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne said today he would retire from international one-day cricket to extend his Test career.

Warne said the dislocated shoulder he suffered in a one-day game on December 15 proved to him how easily injury could occur and cut short his days in the Australian Test team.

Warne, who will play the World Cup in southern Africa before standing down from the Australian one-day side, admitted he wanted to leave the abbreviated form of the game on his own terms.

"It hasn't been a decision, I suppose, that has come lightly," said Warne.

"I love playing cricket for Australia but the No.1 priority for me is to play Test cricket for as long as I can.

"I've been thinking about it for a while but I didn't come to the conclusion until I was carried off on a stretcher in Melbourne.

"That sort of brought my thinking home about how hard it is on your body in one-day cricket.

Warne said he had the support of one-day captain Ricky Ponting, Australia coach John Buchanan, his team-mates and the Australian Cricket Board.

"Everyone I've spoken too thinks it's a pretty positive and smart decision - and a pretty gutsy one."

Warne is expected to make his international comeback from his shoulder problem in tomorrow's first tri-series final against England at the SCG.

http://www-aus.cricket.org/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2003/JAN/125465_AAP_22JAN2003.html

Tourney,

I dont think McGill has what it takes to be a good spinner at ODI level. Granted he is a talented tweaker who would probably get a place in many other countries' national sides, but isn't that the way with many of the current crop of Australian second stringers? I'm watching Brad Hogg with bated breath, and despite his recent good performances, there is always that lingering doubt regarding chinamen. At the end of the day though, why replace like with like? If no spinner is up to it, I say go with 4 quicks, or look for another all rounder.

Cheers

Jaga

Won't be the same without him, that's for sure. All that's left now is the World Cup.

I read somewhere by retiring from one dayers, he expects to add 6 years to his test career. Surely this is an overestimate, considering he was talking about full retirement a year or two ago.

Archived