Cricket World Cup! Shane Warne OUT!

Torneyboy

Since it is positive I hope he gets dealt with harshly.....outside of Australia the Aussies do have a "bad" boy image in how they play the game (i.e sledging etc..) and this only worsens it....For the reputation of Australia cricketers Warne MUST be dealt with harshly and should not be given a leniant sentence due to his status.

SB.

out of interest, what were they really trying to prove by sample B? that the first sample was not wrong ?

Ultimately, it still will not prove whether he deliberately taking the substance to get back into cricket earlier after his injury or whether it was a "bad luck" story ....

SB.

I agree. Aussie authorities tend to turn a blind eye when our sporting heroes cheat. As for 2000/1 on against Holland, don't forget Headingly 1981 and wage your spare satang on the Dutch!

Excuse my delay but I had to dig up some facts and figures.

In 1981, England were on the brink of losing -- having made 174 and, at one stage, being 7-135 in reply to Australia's first innings of 9(dec)-401.

The Australian pair or Rodney Marsh and Dennis Lillee placed 10 pound bets at 500-1 overnight and the next day Ian Botham played one of the most spectacular innings on record to get his side back into match (surprise, surprise! Botham was always rumored to have been in on the bet).

With Graham Dilley, he added 127 for the eight wicket, then put on 67 for the ninth wicket with Chris Old before finishing 149 not out as England made 356.

Bob Willis took 8-43 in the second innings as Australia was bowled out for 111 and lost by 18 runs.

Lillee said that while Australia looked like winning the Test, he could not resist the 500-1 odds for England in a two-horse race and even told his teammates he was going to make the bet.

"I naturally would have swapped the money for a win but, being a small-time punter, I had been unable to resist the juicy 500-1. It was as simple as that."

(Yeah right!)

Steve Warne, Mark Waugh and Tim May were fined nominal sums on their submission that they had received money from an Indian bookie for forwarding information about the weather, pitch report and composition of the final playing eleven, during the triangular series in Sri Lanka in 1994, a fact that was concealed by them for almost five years.

But there are other far more serious events in 1992 that have come under the spotlight. According to a report on match fixing released last November, the illegal Indian bookmaker Mukesh Gupta (aka MK) claims he paid Mark Waugh $20,000 during a six-a-side game in Hong Kong and paid Indian Test cricketer Manoj Prabhakar for the introduction.

The money allegedly was paid "in exchange for information regarding team morale, discussions taking place during team meetings, percentage of chances of winning or losing etc regarding the Australian team".

Gupta's account is backed by Prabhakar, who admits in the report that he introduced the bookie to Waugh.

In 1995, Waugh admitted accepting $US4,000 from an Indian bookie named "John" in his hotel room in Sri Lanka and introducing him to Warne.

In secret hearings held by the ACB in 1995, Waugh claimed he had refused a request to provide information on team members, tactics or selections, and stipulated to the bookie that he would give information only on weather and the pitch.

(BOLLOCKS!)

Waugh was fined $10,000, Warne $8,000 and the matter kept quiet. When it finally became public three years later, after Waugh accused the Pakistani captain Salim Malik of offering him $200,000 to throw a match, the ACB ordered a fresh inquiry.

The Brisbane QC Rob O'Reagan concluded that Waugh's conversations with the bookie "were more extensive than the board thought them to be in 1995".

"There were about 10 occasions when the bookmaker telephoned Mark Waugh in Pakistan, at various locations in Australia during the 1994-95 Ashes tour, in New Zealand in February 1995 and finally in the West Indies during that tour in 1995," O'Reagan said.

IMHO, the ACB should have banned all the above players for life but never had the guts to do it because, hey, good lord, we may actually lose a game.

Compare this turn-a-blind-eye attitude by the ACB to Major League Baseball who banned legendary Pete Rose from baseball for life for making shady bets on various sports, including betting on his own team.

And now we have Warne again in the hot seat feigning ignorance. Let's see if the ACB will finally act appropriately, but don't bet on it!

Archived