3-1

gobbledonk

SB,

I'm not denying that he has suffered for his 'art' : I was simply using him as an example of an Oz sporting God. Gilly, the Waugh brothers - I'm sure they all spent hours honing their skills each day. I see it as analagous to a professional surfer forcing himself to surf in slop waves to prepare for competition conditions : it may not be heaven, but they arent doing 12 hours in a lab, either.

If an Australian found a cure for cancer or HIV, half the local news audience that night would go 'Great - now what time is the cricket on ?'. Next day, I doubt that they could even remember the researchers name, and he certainly wouldnt be given the keys to the city. No - we reserve things like that for sportspeople and luminaries such as Alan Bond.

Its human nature, but that doesnt make our priorities any less skewed .....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Limbo.

darts?,that;s a good one.

is it played in Oz regularly,do you have many leagues?,in the bars?.

i admit i do not know much about darts,but remember Phil Taylor has been world champion for a number of years.

and i think not many Aussie's are snooker players.

christ,something we might beat you at.

The English have the best football hooligans in the world

Sadly, some of the other European nations seem to have taken up the challenge on this one. I'm still chuckling about the campaign that the Japanese ran during the WC to help people spot a 'hooligan' among the English supporters. Apparently, being loud and drunk in a public place isnt the sole province of 'hooligans' : if it were, half of the 18-25's in Australia would be behind bars ....

Archived