Apartment hunting in Bangkok

To rictic and Long Gun:

Thank you for the enlightenment. I had no idea things were this way, and I do appreciate the education.

To Sukhumvit: NOTHING deferential about my post. You misinterpreted. I explicitly said I was IGNORANT about this subject, and I asked for information. That's what this forum is all about, isn't it? There were absolutely no negative connotations or anything durogotory intended. OK?

quote:

A maid's room in an apartment? I'm not familiar with this part of Asian culture.

Sorry, I'm thinking like a Westerner or I've misunderstood something here. Please educate me on why anyone would want maid's quarters in a small apartment. If you were well-off and could afford a servant, I can understand that. But, if you could afford a servant, then why would you be in a 10,500 baht/mo. apartment?

I'm quite curious, please relieve me of my ignorance!

Thanks,

teacherwannabe

Hi Teacherwannabe

Your correct, this forum is to help educate others, never feel foolish asking about something you don't know or don't understand.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!!!

Sorry, I'm thinking like a Westerner or I've misunderstood something here. Please educate me on why anyone would want maid's quarters in a small apartment. If you were well-off and could afford a servant, I can understand that. But, if you could afford a servant, then why would you be in a 10,500 baht/mo. apartment?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

10,500 is not small money in Thailand. it is almost a secretaries monthly wage.

This is a country where you will see mercedes etc... parked outside shitholes. No-one sees your shithole but they do see your car when you are out and about.

maids etc... are cheap here even your maid might have a maid.

It's all about face. if you are doing reasonably well, then why should you clean and cook for yourself. If you don't have a maid you must be struggling on your wages.

quote:

Originally posted by Sukhumvit:

To teacherwannabe

You state that there's nothing deferential about your post. Deferential means "showing respect, respectful."

Hopefully you have now been relieved of your ignorance.

OK

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Sukhumvit ]

Yes, deferential does imply a "positive" comment, and I stand corrected. But, I'm not sure that's what he wanted to imply. I took it as a jab, perhaps mistakenly, and I apologize if I misinterpreted a kudo.

Sorry!

Archived