Transit through Vancouver through to the US

Has anyone taken a Thai to the US specifically via Vancouver? I am interested to know whether a Canadian visa is required for this. In general it appears that a visa is required to even transit through Canada, but I could see Vancouver being special, because there is actually a US port of entry there, ie, you get off the plane and "enter" the US right there in Vancouver, the leg to the US is a domestic flight.

I'm interested to know peoples' experiences here -- I could see that even if a visa is *not* required (ie Vancouver is special) that an ignoramus at checkin in Bangkok or the transit city (Hong Kong, etc) might make problems.

no a canadian visa is not required if you dont leave the transit area. The canadian visa is about 3000B and would be a waste of time/money to get for a few hours. You should not even enter canadian immigration but clear customs in Van for the flight to the US. It is similar for us Canadians at O'heara airport in CHI. we clear customs there.

Says KhMarried:

Has anyone taken a Thai to the US specifically via Vancouver? I am interested to know whether a Canadian visa is required for this. In general it appears that a visa is required to even transit through Canada, but I could see Vancouver being special, because there is actually a US port of entry there, ie, you get off the plane and "enter" the US right there in Vancouver, the leg to the US is a domestic flight.

I'm interested to know peoples' experiences here -- I could see that even if a visa is *not* required (ie Vancouver is special) that an ignoramus at checkin in Bangkok or the transit city (Hong Kong, etc) might make problems.

National THAILAND (TH) /Transit CANADA (CA)

Destination U.S.A. (US)

Visa not required if being in transit in Vancouver (YVR)

to/from the U.S.A., provided:

- holding confirmed onward tickets within 24 hours of arrival;

and

- not leaving the transit area (no overnight facilities in

transit area); and

- being ticketed to one of the following carriers: Air Canada,

Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, China

Airlines and Philippine Airlines; and

- travelling to their final destination; and

a). if travelling to the U.S.A. passenger must:

- hold a valid U.S. visa; or

B). if travelling from the U.S.A. passenger must:

- be eligible for entry to the third country; and

- have entered the U.S.A. on a valid visa, being lawfully

admited and not overstaying the period of stay

authorised; and

- not have been deported or removed from the U.S.A. (unless

being refused on a flight not cleared by U.S.

preclearance inspectors at YVR and within 7 days of their

arrival).

In all other cases:

visa required (even if not getting off the aircraft while it

is on the ground in Canada).

Regards, JEff

Archived