In Room Safes/Security

NokTang

Always curious why some stress in room safe. crazy.gif" border="0

The real issue for me is preventing my girl from stealing or being tempted to steal. frown.gif" border="0

My solution is to bring a couple SET YOUR OWN combination locks. tongue.gif" border="0 and a chain, apx 12 inches long.

Sometimes you will find the closet enables you to lock it, other times you have to use your suitcase, one lock on the bag, other with the chain to a chair or something. tongue.gif" border="0

The idea of locking something up in the room when you are out and about is good, except I work under the asumption if someone going thru the room, best not to have anything in it! cool.gif" border="0

In room safe is good for when you are out, sure, but when you are in? Sometimes I just feel that requirement should not control my hotel decision.

As a last resort, if you don't have a bag you can lock, you can always chain your girl to the bed while you shower. Don't forget to release her when you get out!

good luck,

Nok

Hi,

myself I don't have that trouble. Then I come to LOS I give everything to GF. She put it into her bank account. Every day I tell her how much I need and she takes it out using her ATM.

Also I have my credit cards, if I want to buy something special. wink.gif" border="0

elef crazy.gif" border="0

I prefer a room with its own safe. Second preference is for individual security boxes at the reception desk or near it. Both are good, and the first is convenient.

I do not ever use a hotel safe, where the hotel wants to see the contents of the sealed envelope that is placed in its safe.

A soft-sided luggage can be slit with a knife allowing a hand to search inside and feel for valuables. Luggage locks are usually easy to pick or simple to pry open with a screwdriver.

Someone suggested screwing down a small lockable metal box (full of valuables) inside the closet or to a room desk and attaching a motion sensoring alarm. But, he had his box special made. Sears sells a hard plastic box, but it is heavy, too large, and not lockable unless you drill holes and fit it with a lock.

A fellow traveler told me that in Rio de Janeiro he and his nephew took a girl back to their hotel room. She spiked their beers and they fell asleep after half a can of beer. They awoke the next morning and found all their money gone, except for what was in their room safe.

Better be safe [pun] than sorry.

Archived