Let?s go (wrong in) Isaan ? Part 1 Half the fun?

JCK

Still post your report, it?s not so much the style but the content

I agree 100% STH.

Ex-poster here, was a lurker, now poster again. Inspired by STH?s words and also ?cos I?m doing a writing course for fun with half a mind on returning to freelance writing. Some real feedback would be appreciated, especially from the likes of jagoturner ?cos he?s not a bad writer. Have a read of this report part 1. Don?t get your hopes up as most of the effort went into the title. I?ve got loads more waffle of a similar nature if anyone?s interested?

Let?s go (wrong in) Isaan ? Part 1 Half the fun?

Early 2001 saw my first Vientiane visa run. It was exciting stuff. With twenty-four hours left on my non-imm, an epic train ride beckoned. My only chance was a flight to Udon and a trip into Laos via the Friendship Bridge. Woeful planning and crap knowledge nearly had me booking a ticket to the similar sounding, yet useless, Ubon. Politely enquiring why I was visiting Ubon, the bemused booking lady went on to produce a huge map and her sexiest smile. Whilst her colleagues cackled, she pointed out my error adding that today, it?d be business class or nothing.

Settling into a seat bigger than my apartment, one of Asia?s most stuck-up pooyings, hairstyle showing on radar, parked her fat arse beside me. Turning away from this smiley farang, she looked out onto a pitch black Don Muang. Bitch! She was in for a taste of economy class hooliganism, JCK-style. I?d paid bloody business class and was gonna enjoy it. Forty-five minutes of erupting beer cans, rude trouser scratching and UN-defying farts left her looking like she?d flown rot thammada to Rio. I?d never seen anyone run off an aircraft like that. Udon must?ve been very good. I couldn?t wait.

No matter how tempting Udon looks, however late it is, get the f*** out. Once off that plane or train, air con buses will whisk you off to Nong Khai. Sadly, I was so knackered after my business class cameo that I needed a bed in Udon. Full up and tucked up hours later, great idea to stop over, I mused dozing off. Tomorrow, a leisurely 30Km to Nong Khai, then over the majestic Mekong into Laos. What utter BOLLOX! Welcome to the sticks. Skytrains, planes and tuk tuks had spoilt me. Isaan rained on my hangover and I just knew the short journey would be hell. The next train left in eleven hours, Nong Khai was way too far for those slothful tuk tuks and my visa had expired yesterday. The obvious solution: The regular air con buses from the airport. It was only 2pm. I?d be supping a Beer Lao by teatime.

As the tuk tuk crawled away, I?d never seen an airport so desolate, so deserted. Something was badly wrong. I?d seen more people at a pre-90?s Arsenal reunion. Shit! Buses would of course only meet incoming flights, so obvious. Checking the timetable, the next plane arrived in five hours. I could walk the 12Km back to Udon or 35Km to Nong Khai. With no airport branch of Asia Books in sight, I collapsed onto the steps and wept. The only sign of life was a somtam stall, maybe a mile away. In that hot Isaan afternoon sun, kao niaw, somtam (mai ao pett mahk na krup), gai yang and six Beer Singh?s later, I fell asleep. Ms Somtam woke me. It was dark. Bpai nai? Nong Khai chai mai? My bus was leaving. The horror of spending a night there was too much. I ran blindly screaming, ?Nong Khai, Nong Khai!? The bus almost flipped, its back wheels lifted off the road, missing the mad farang by inches. I was saved.

That was my first trip to Isaan. Half the fun?

Part 2 whenever?

Hey it aint that bad up there.

Just need help with a few directions an stuff.

I do have a quick question though but why didnt you get the train all the way to Nong Khai? (if you didnt know then fair enough - but it is well posted in Huamalanpong station).

I do agree though, Udon aint the most inspiring place to be, although there is a great place about 10mins from the airport - Harrys Bar - good food and beer along with a great atmosphere, plenty of falangs and girls as well. Maybe next time eh!

Cheers...

BB, admittedly my story doesn't paint a picture of a bright guy, more of an adventurous Mr Bean perhaps. In later trips, appearing on a PC near you, I did indeed take a train all the way. On my first trip though, I flew. :sleeping:

Says JCK:

BB, admittedly my story doesn't paint a picture of a bright guy, more of an adventurous Mr Bean perhaps. In later trips, appearing on a PC near you, I did indeed take a train all the way. On my first trip though, I flew.
:sleeping:

Hey JCK,

I must apologise if my post offended you in anyway, I was a little bit pissed when I posted it. And I didnt even realise it was from 2001.

Never mind anyway - and I'm glad youve learnt the 'better way' of getting through Issarn.

Cheers. :bow:

I was hoping to spend a few days in Udon in July. Is it really that bad?

FB - On later visits, it was not so terrible. The problem, on that first occasion, was my crap planning, naivety and thinking Udon would have all the transport facilities of Bangkok. Not even a BTS (UTS?)! With a bit of forethought, you should avoid disasters like mine and even have a good time.

Nearly forgot ? I got sunburn too. :onfire:

BB ? no offence at all ::

After Bangkok,Chiang Mai,and Pattaya I found Udon a bit quiet but its all there if you look around and the prices for most things are way lower.

I stay at the Hotel Karin.Its modern and not far from the centre of things.Not bad for 400b a night including breakfast.

I tried to hire a motorcycle to get around and found that it was 3 times dearer than Pattaya or Chiang Mai ! Car hire was about the same as other places.Definately worth a look.

Hi FB,

Udon is not exactly bad, it is just that it is rather uninteresting in my view anyway. And I´ve been coming there regularly for the past 10 years, because my wife comes from this general area.

However, Nong Khai on the river bank just some 40 KM to the north is my favourite town in Isarn.

Lots of things to see and do in a much nicer setting due to the Mekong River.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Archived