Marriott Seems To Top Out - Correct?

Looking to drop by Bangkok for a week starting on Friday (27th) and after searching thru the accommodation section, I seem to be favouring the JW Marriott.

I like the idea of the Nana but I am a bit fussy (like my comforts and all that) so the Marriott seems to win out for its location and facilities.

However, i notice you guys seem to be united in saying that there is no probs with guests etc. Last year, I dropped by the JW to check it out and was immediately aware of the large lobby and presumed it would be quite tough to get girls in. Any comments on that?

If I do go with the Marriott, would it be a better choice than the Landmark which seems to be about the same price?

Talking of a price, there is a thread below with one guy asking for the cheapest price of the Marriott thru the net - the cheapest I have found is $99.91 inc. Anyone know better?

And finally, I usually stay at the Tarntawan near Patpong but have just found out that it is considered a "gay" hotel! Must say, I never thought of it that way and considered it quite a nice place to stay? Anyone else stay there and have opinions?

Thanks boys

Groover laugh.gif" border="0

Groover

Never any probs at the JW. I've always arrived late evening with a guest and walked through the small entrance to the left of the main lobby, past the bakery. It's the first door you see as you walk from Sukhumvit. Guards don't even glance at you, and the reception desk is right at the other end.

Enjoy

Chok dii khap

Ozgaz smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

Several hotels (Rose, Suriwong, Wall Street Inn) on the Suriwong side of Patpong have had the "gay" label attached to them at one time or another, but it doesn't really mean anything. There was at least one Pattaya hotel in past years that catered exclusively to gays, and advertised the fact on the web, but the Patpong hotels don't care what the sexual orientation of their guests is.

If you have any sort of connection to a major international corporation, or know someone who does and is willing to share their corporate travel number with you, you can probably get the corporate rate at JW Marriot. It was $75 last time I checked, slightly more than a year ago.

Marriott is great location if you want to be close to NEP. Bit of a walk though if you are going to try Soi Cowboy - with the heat and hassle of the taxi drivers late at night - I wouldn't be bothered to try.

better location (IMO) for both NEP & SC is the Sheraton Grande, which is also close to CEP. You may pay $5 or $10 more, but you'll still have your "comforts" and you be able to try both places if NEP is not to your liking.

cool.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by Scruffy:

It was $75 last time I checked, slightly more than a year ago.

75 USD would be a very good rate as they have gone up with their prices quite drastically. mad.gif" border="0 Getting a discount has become difficult; even for the corporate rate they were asking more than 100 bucks last time I have been there (may this year).

To the Groovy one:

I stayed at the JW in April for 3900/night which is about $87 USD for two people(includes breakfast). I got the rate through my wife's friend Tip, who is a travel agent, M & K Travel,

742-6531 ext.1 or 655-0047. She is semi-reliable so confirm everything at least once. The price is the same for one or two people so you might as well book it for two so that you can have bkfst with your GF. The hotel was good but I've heard that the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is better but also more expensive. Jay

I booked the Marriot for sept thru directrooms.com @ 4,000 baht a night inc. You do have to pay prior to arriving though-peter

quote:

Originally posted by Groover:

Talking of a price, there is a thread below with one guy asking for the cheapest price of the Marriott thru the net - the cheapest I have found is $99.91 inc. Anyone know better?

Thanks boys

Groover
laugh.gif" border="0

Hello Jay,

I am a regular at JWM and I usually book through their website. The rates I pay were never below US$100 so I am pleasantly surprised with the US$87 (incl breakfast!)you got.

Could I have Tip's e-mail address? If she can get me these prices again, I wish to make a booking through her for an upcoming trip.

Thanks!

Obviously there is a huge variety of hotel prices; especially in Thailand. Depending on the season, on the booking level, on the demand and not at least on your bargaining skills.

Bargaining at the JW has become difficult as the demand has risen. Until last year I was lucky to get a room for 2500 THB (!). But this seems to be history - probably because now they get the prices they ask for. If more people would insist on a lower rate they might change their policy again....

chok dee

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: charon ]

Archived