Question re visa for staying long term in Thailand

mongatu

I think the notarization requirement might be a hassle because, for example, how do you get the health certificate from your doctor notarized? Wouldn't you have to bring the notary public to the doctor's office to witness the signature?

I suppose the police form is probably "certified" by the police agency and this would probably be deemed sufficient to comply with the notarization requirement by the Thai authorities.

Most banks have notaries on the premises, so it would probably be pretty easy to get the bank statement notarized.

>I think the notarization requirement might be a hassle >because, for example, how do you get the health certificate >from your doctor notarized? Wouldn't you have to bring the >notary public to the doctor's office to witness the signature?

Exactly the problem.

>I suppose the police form is probably "certified" by the >police agency and this would probably be deemed sufficient >to comply with the notarization requirement by the Thai >authorities.

The woman at the Thai Consulate in LA said to me in a telephone conversation last December "NOTARIZED" and that's her emphasis! That includes the police clearance, bank statement, medical clearance and personal data form. A friend here in Bangkok drove from San Diego to LA to talk to her about his application for an O-A retirement visa. She rejected one of his documents and when he pointed out the fact that it followed the outline of the requirements as printed, she point out that SHE makes the determination as to the acceptability of documents submitted for the visa. I've talked to a couple of people who've had problems dealing with her.

>Most banks have notaries on the premises, so it would >probably be pretty easy to get the bank statement >notarized.

I had trouble enough getting them to submit a statement of any sort, nevermind getting it notarized. Took 3 visits and a couple of phone calls. (Wells Fargo in California - they really don't want to deal with anything that isn't within their routine and understandably so as they appear to be very understaffed.)

I think if you go back and do a search using "retirement visa" over the past 6 months in this folder you'll see a lot of information that may be of use to you.

-redwood

Believe we may be making this harder than it needs to be as this term usually only requires you to sign the paper here in Thailand. I suspect, at the most, it would require you to sign in the presence of a notary (at your bank) and have it stamped. But if anyone has done the process perhaps they can advise.

"Believe we may be making this harder than it needs to be as this term usually only requires you to sign the paper here in Thailand. I suspect, at the most, it would require you to sign in the presence of a notary (at your bank) and have it stamped. But if anyone has done the process perhaps they can advise."

I _think_ what we're talking about is obtaining the O-A in the USA not in Thailand. (See 5th post down in this thread.) And, if you apply for the visa in the US you need a notarized statement from your bank re funds in your US bank account. This statement is then submitted with the application for the O-A to the Thai Consulate there.

As I understand the banks here in Thailand have a form for this purpose and are very familiar with the process so it shouldn't be a problem.

-redwood

Yeah, thanks, I'll do the search.

The post about just getting your own signature notarized sounds like a good idea that just might satisfy the authorities. You could just type on to the form a statement saying, "I hereby state under penalty of perjury that the this is a true and correct copy of my [e.g., bank statement]." And sign in the presence of a notary, thus having your own signature on the form notarized. Technically, the form has then been notarized. Although I doubt this would fly in the US, it sounds like it might work for Thailand.

Archived