Marriott - The other side

In a couple of weeks I have to visit a company in Bangkok. The hotel they have already booked is the Marriott. So what's the point, you may ask. Well, the point is that there are two Marriott hotels in BKK actually, and the one the where so kind to pick is the so called Royal Garden Riverside - at the other side of the Chao Praya River and far away from most places that I know. frown.gif" border="0 As there is little chance to change the hotel I would like to know if somebody has any experience of the area close to the Royal Garden and especially of the hotels guest policy. Thanks in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by charon:

I would like to know if somebody has any experience of the area close to the Royal Garden and especially of the hotels guest policy. Thanks in advance.

Charon,

The place is actually quite nice - right on the river, and with a ferry that will transport you over to the Bangkok side. The immediate area has a smattering of local bars, and makes for good exploring. The other end of Thonburi, near Pata Dept store, also has many massage parlors if that is your interest.

The hotel itself is tropical and lush, and has a Trader Vics, Beni Hana (sp?), etc.

I am not sure about guest policy, but it is such an expansive hotel, I imagine that you could just sneak someone in by not going in through the front entrance.

Your taxi from, say, Pat Pong, should not be all that costly.

You are also close to Rama 3 and the pubs in tha area (Tawan Daeng, safe House), though they are also Thai oriented.

All in all, I think you will be quite happy there. It certainly isn't next door to Nana and the like, but at least at night, I think you will have no problems with handling the distances.

Cheers,

froggo

Thank you froggo for the quick reply. It seems there is enough to explore even in short distance - although I still wonder obout the official guest policy as to

quote:

sneak someone in by not going in through the front entrance

does not leave a good feeling for anybody. And at the other Marriott people really don't care at all which is really great.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: charon ]

Archived