"I only went a little way"

gawguy

A few ways you could say this...

¼Ãä»ã¡Åéá¤è¹Õéàç - phom pai klai kae nee eang.

More simply said - ¼Ãä»á¤è¹Õéàç - phom pai kae nee eang. Translated would say - 'I only went this far..'

or

¼Ãä»äÃèä¡ÅàÅ - pom pai mai klai leuy -

'I didn't go far at all.'

Might help to point out that the two 'klai's' in the first and second example are opposites. The first being 'klai ã¡Åé with a falling tone meaning 'near', and in the second 'klai ä¡Å with a mid-tone meaning 'far'.

Cheers

FF

Sometimes I ride a baht bus for just a few blocks and I don't want to pay 10 baht. I pay 5. If a taxi driver objects, how do I tell him, "No! I only went a little way."

karuna pom keeneow mahk mahk ha baht pang.

pathetic comes to mind :banghead:

so does walk that way you will be able to bank the whole 10 baht

If you only want to pay five baht instead of the fixed ten baht you should be more interested in learning the correct phrases to negotiate with before you jump in a baht bus. Better yet, just pay the going rate or walk especially if you're in Pattaya(?).

And this is what the driver will say to you....

àÃÒà§Ô¹ÃÒãËé¡Ùà´ÕëÂǹÕéäÃè§Ñé¹â´¹¡Ã÷׺á¹èäÃé¿ÅÑ觧¡ :cussing:

Hello,

FF thanks for the help.

I certainly didn't expect the response - some of it was a bit on the hot side! "Pathetic" was way too strong!

Let me try again. Sometimes I am going somewhere that should cost 10baht for farang. (There is a debateable point about the dual pricing, but disregarding that...) The taxi turns off before it gets to where I'm going. So it was a short ride, leaving me with a really short ride. Let's say 3 blocks. I am not going to pay 10 baht to ride three blocks, nor do I want to pay 10 to the guy who turned off, nor do I nor the drivers want to get into long question and answer periods.

Other times I just need a short ride to go a short way. As anyone knows, 5 baht is more than fair and actually I've never had a problem just handing over 5 baht.

I really don't want to alienate the people that help me in this forum. I'm doing my best to learn the language and I have a lot of questions. Anyway...

All the best,

GG

Archived