Acquired English Deficiency Syndrome

I am talking about AEDS, not AIDS. You talk to the BG in the bar, and her English is nonexistent. In the hotel room, her English is still at near zero level. Now she starts to like you, and her English undergoes an unbelievable transformation :doah:, and all of sudden you have a great conversation in English with her :dunno:.

Happened to me more than once. Clearly the initial lack of English was an act :devil:. Anybody with similar experiences?

Actually, I think AEDS sometimes happens to long-term expats in some Asian countries. On my recent 40-day vacation to Thailand I started to speak English a bit like the Thais I interacted with. At first I tried to speak "international" English but they sometimes didn't understand me. When I used Thai-glish they seemed to understand me better.

Same thing happens to me here in Korea where I work as and conversational English instructor. There are some folks who just DO NOT understand so-called "standard English" and seem to only compute "Konglish" (i.e., "Korean English"). Of course, I try to quickly break the Konglish habits of my students, but in other parts of day to day life it's simply easier to talk the local English pidgin. :(

That happened to me when I got home from Singapore one trip, being a bit jet lagged I got to the office instead of going home to bed and started jabbering to all and sundry in "Singlish"!

Needless to say they all looked at me like I had grown 2 heads! :rolleyes:

Thaipan

I see it's easy for guys to catch AEDS :) . How about the girls? Any experience with girls who pretended that their English is worse than it actually was?

I wonder if they do that to "get it over with" quickly. Maybe if they are not interesting in conversation, the guy will get bored :sleeping: and let them go faster.

Archived