Notes from recent bar crawls in BKK and PTY.

ptyrider

I enjoy reading this forum, so I'm giving back something.

Pattaya go-gos are a much better value these days than those Bangkok. Lots of bars have happy hours where a beer may be as low as 30 baht. Other times in major bars like Electric Blue and Pepperminth a beer can be had for 45 baht. The average quality of the ladies is far better in the best Pattaya go-gos like Happy, Electric Blue, and Pepperminth than in the best of the BKK bars of Nana and SC, in my opinion. I haven't been to the Pong lately.

I don't often bar fine, so I don't know much about prices for that. Personally I wouldn't pay more than 1000 for short-time anyway unless there's some compelling reason. :)

In SC and Nana, from the other night:

In SC few bars were showing, been a crackdown I guess. Girls in Suzie Wong and Tilac were all covered up. Long Gun (renamed to, uh, . . . ) was topless, but the quality wasn't that great. I visited Nana, too, and it was better. Most bars in Nana were at least topless.

Suzie Wong has good quality, music, and dancing. Definitely one of the top bars in SC. I did get hassled a bit by a waitress.

In Nana, G-Spot is making a strong comeback. Lots of big-breasted ladies, including probably the biggest pair (though fake) in Thailand.

Rainbow II still has the best numbers and best quality of my limited sampling of Nana-SC, IMO. I got there during the rock music set, so I was happy.

Playskool had suffered a decline but is now back to good quality; good rock music, too.

Angelwitch (pre-show time) was a bit of a disappointment. A few stunners but mostly average or below, hardened, and nobody looked happy, shuffling around. The music was pretty good, though; I mean, most of it had discernable melody. The waitress from hell is still there, but didn't seem to be hassling anybody.

Bottoms Up is as good as ever, good music (though they did have to play the alternate Thai National Anthem, "Hotel California"), energetic dancing, totally revealing. Not the most beautiful ladies, but very down to earth.

Red Lips is the sleeper among the Nana bars, IMO. A tout grabbed me as I was on my way to Voodoo and led me in there: I was pleasantly surprised. Good but very standard rock played not too loud, some very attractive ladies, good dancing including high energy from an 18-year-old w/ perfect body, friendly but no hassles.

Hollywood and the other 3rd floor bars seem about the same as they've been for years, except the girls all keep on their g-strings even during the shows. Decent music, average ladies, somewhat hassling but not intolerably so, comfortable.

In Pattaya these days:

Misty's (Soi Pattayaland 2) is open in the afternoons now. A couple of not unattractive girls dancing in there, but only a couple. The notice I read had said that rock music would be played, but all I heard was rap and unmelodic stuff.

Tim's on 2nd road still has rock music and videos but still played at ear-splitting volume. Girls are average; no showing.

Carosel on Soi Diamond is under a new manager. I wasn't impressed with anything he's done so far. One "show" just had some ladies wearing Chinese dresses and lazily twirling Chinese umbrellas as they stood around. That was it! Really. Waste o' time and money.

Champion (Walking Street) used to be good for the biker atmosphere, the rock music, down-to-earth ladies showing when other bars weren't showing, inexpensive beer. However, the music now includes long sets of Euro-techno, standard in Thai-managed go-gos, and a bit too loud.

Happy-a-go-go is a great value during their happy hour (7:30 - 9, I think). Some of the best quality in Thailand, really gorgeous.

Electric Blue is about perfect. Nothing is lacking in that place. Best value of anywhere I'm aware of. Very well done, very impressive, excellent!

Pepperminth is a close 2nd to EB, but the music's not as good IMO. It has some other features of interest, however; a MUST visit.

Whats-up-a-go-go is a sleeper among the Pattaya bars. It's on Soi 15 off Walking Street, across from Nui's. Attractive ladies, very reasonable prices, no hassles, friendly. It's across from Nui's. Nui's is just--unexciting for some reason. Small stages, a bit hassling; can't exactly put my finger on what's wrong. Not many customers in there on a recent night.

The Dollhouse--well, I must have gone there on an off night, or maybe many of the girls had gone home for Songkran. Other times the music has been good and there were a few above-average or *interesting* ladies, though most were just average. Also, it's a good value.

The Blues Factory, though not a go-go bar, is a good place for live music. Contrary to the name, not that much blues is played, unfortunately, though the band can certainly play some fine blues if it wants or is allowed to. On a recent night the lead player was off and the substitute guitarist, though talented, had obviously never played with the other house band members; drowned everybody out, too. The DJ now plays unlistenable stuff during the band's breaks at ear-splitting volume (though it's always been too loud in BF) and the dancers of previous, better days seem to have vanished. The female singer, Angie (?), really has a fantastic voice, a good presentation, and some good songs to sing, mostly R&B, not blues. After 12, Lam Morrison (famous and great Thai rock guitarist) comes in, so forget about any blues after 12. Don't think about bringing in a slice of pizza or a hamburger denmark into Blues Factory and eating it, either: sign says you can't do that anymore.

I've kinda given up on Blues Factory lately and go to Diablo, a new live-music place right on Walking Street, really great band (no blues, but no Hotel California either the times I've gone) and good place to people watch if you can find a seat in the front. Has a Patpong feel to it, w/ free lancers, but no hassles.

Normally I don't like "shows" but friends urged me to see those in Polo on Walking Street. I'm glad I did. Well-done, very professional, different, sexy rather than just raunchy or perverted, beautiful girls. I'll go back.

Maybe it's just my own long-suffering ears, but I think more and more bars have gotten way too loud. It's really an occupational hazard for the staffs, isn't it?; I fear many will end up with tinnitus at the least. The DJs sit behind or away from the speakers, so *they* don't experience the volume they inflict on everyone else. Ask them to turn down and all you'll get is a smile. I hate to wear earplugs, but I do regularly now, and my ears feel SO much better during and after experiencing many of these go-gos.

Good report Ptyrider... informative but concise.

I second your comments on the Pattaya GoGos, although I have n't been to Tim's in a number of years (was a good atmosphere but no quality lookers).

I am not sure about Electric Blue being my first choice - you dont appear to have visited Living Dolls or Living Dolls Showcase :p - but EB is a change from the normal layout - if you can work out the best place to sit.

Dollhouse seems to have alot of 'off' nights if your experiences are anything like mine - it has certainly falled from the top of the Premiership of GoGos and heading towards relegation to a lower league.

Big Willies GoGo (upstairs in Soi Diamond) does n't seem to get mentioned too often on this board but it certainly has a lot of good lookers. This is a big bar with 2 low level stages of approx. 8 girls on each - the various pillars tend to obstruct your view of certain parts of the stage (no matter where you seem to sit). Although I only discovered this GoGo out of desperation to find somewhere different for the first drink of the night I was pleasantly surprised by this place- I would recommend a visit.

Happy - one of the most consistantly good bars of the last 10+ years. Always a good selection of girls (although they dont all look as 'happy' as they used to), good service and an unnecessarily good happy hour.

Peppermint depends on where you find a seat - the layout means there are only a few spots where you can get an uninterupted view of the various stages. The 'nude' stage :o is definetly worth a look- but the knickerless office workers in the fish-bowl is a bit of a 'curiousity'. ::

Carousel was very quiet last month, although I visited early evening (8-9pm). I mentioned in another thread that the new management (another ex-Dollhouse guy) were rumoured to be turning it into a 'show' bar (ala LD Showcase & Angelwitch).

I saw the 'publicity' girls they brought in to tour the other GoGos on some sort of publicity campaign (and wind-up other GoGo owners). The girls were absolutely stunning in their black jeans and bra-top uniforms - but it was not obvious they were publicising Carousel (I did n't recognise the Carousel emblem at the time). Did anyone else see these girls? and is their any news on Carousel's plans (believe me - they need to do something to attract the likes of you & me)

Pattayaland is a waste of time and money at present - I could n't recommend any of the bars I visited - and I tried most of them. :drunk:

So its Living Dolls Showcase for me, followed in no particular order by Happy (sentimental reasons), Peppermint, Electric Blue, Big Willies and Polo (for a one-off visit) - although I always end up in half a dozen others (normally dissapoining)

ptyrider & wiseone,

thanks for the updates, which was to the point & serves as excellent 'to do list' for any potential visitors at present.

I'm only missing a bit of review from the bar beers, BJ shops & freelance disco's. With that it would almost feel like being there :applause:

Seems there's a very common viewpoint of what's hot in pty these days on this board, but in bkk a bit more varied probably due to a bit better selection in bangers gogo's, whereas pty's stronghold IMO, on top of the current gogo quality, has always been in the extensive bar beer & freelancer pool :hubba: :dunno:

keep it guys as that's what makes this forum what it is :bow:

I'm only missing a bit of review from the bar beers, BJ shops & freelance disco's

Although I dont visit as many beer bars as I used to (I need the GoGo's A/C to keep cool - or to stay dry around Songkran) there are so many of them and in such close proximity that I can never remember the names (or even location :drunk:) of the good or bad ones.

I'll leave the reviews to someone more experienced (or with better memory).

Says ptyrider:

Suzie Wong has good quality, music, and dancing. Definitely one of the top bars in SC. I did get hassled a bit by a waitress.

Was in Suzie Wong some nights ago. The girls were uncovered, a very good show (better bring your rain coat) and the mama-san asked me if I liked a lady sitting besides me. No hassles for a drink at all. Imo, a very good bar.

Says ZMAN Z28:

I also think Dollhouse Soi Cowboy was even worse then Pattaya. To bad Clinton is gone.

Hi Z,

I was in DH SC last night and was pleasantly surprised to detect an improvement. I too used to like DH Clinton, and some of the ex-Clinton girls are now in SC (others in Shark). Last night there were plenty of girls and customers - best night in there for a long time.

Khwai

Says khwaimaisabai:

I was in DH SC last night and was pleasantly surprised to detect an improvement. I too used to like DH Clinton, and some of the ex-Clinton girls are now in SC (others in Shark). Last night there were plenty of girls and customers - best night in there for a long time.

Sounds good for me too. I think, it is worth a check tonight.

Says Peter1964:

Says ptyrider:

Was in Suzie Wong some nights ago. The girls were uncovered, a very good show (better bring your rain coat) and the mama-san asked me if I liked a lady sitting besides me. No hassles for a drink at all. Imo, a very good bar.

Drinks are a bit pricey downstairs, however I'm reliably informed that for those who are still thirsty after closing time, hours upstairs can be somewhat *flexible* ;)

Archived