Bangkok Taxi 2x price?

lopburi3

On the 23rd the Bangkok Post reported cabinet approval of new taxi regulations which would increase fares by over 2x and increase the usable life of vehicles to 12 years. Although most would agree an increase is in order the amount will probably have to be lowered or we will be back to fare bargain here again with only tourists paying the meter rate. :dunno:

Well, I imagine, in the end, the price will reflect what the market will bear in Thailand. If the taxi business can afford to only cator to tourist at a higher fare, hey, more power to them =p :grinyes:

I dont think it will go as that high but it is time for an increase. I can see them keeping the fare/KM the same but raising the flag drop from 35 to 40-45. I think it would be fair and not hurt so much. The problem is that if it goes to expensive some people would go more for public transports and others would buy a car. It would hurt the taxis more than help them if they have a 100% increase at once.

one of the things I like about BKK are the cheap taxi fares. This last trip I used them lots. But if the fare doubles I will most definatly use public transport more. A 5 or 10 baht rise is understandable since Bushyboy has helped increase fuel costs. Also it wouldn't hurt me to walk a bit more LOL

Personally, I'd be willing to pay higher prices if they lowered the usable life of the taxis! :) Some of those cars are deathtraps ::

Archived