Have you ever heard of full payment in advance???

zanemay

The operator of a Pattaya Condo is requesting that I allow him to charge the full amount of several months stay on a credit card in advance. I should add that the operator is well-established and seems ethical.

>To ensure that this apartment is reserved for you in

> what is an extremely

> busy time of the season we recommend that you send

> the whole amount of:

> 39,195 Thai Baht.

>

Doesn't this strike you as absurd?

1) I have never heard of paying so much in advance.

2) He is asking me to email my credit card info via an insecure email transmission.

3) The condo could burn down, I could have an emergency, who knows? Maybe 30 days in advance?

Zane May

Zane,

30 days would be more reasonable. Have never heard in Thailand this kind of ridicules request.

Hmm. Credit card information by email…… I won’t do it. crazy.gif" border="0

I would keep by your logo “fight for your future, fight for your Bath”

Cheers laugh.gif" border="0

Have you seen the Condo yourself? If not, I would not send him/her a single baht or credit card. Hotels sometimes try that on as well, advance payment for the room for the entire stay then hassle you if you want to check out or move. Forget it is all I can say but do as you wish. So many options in Thailand and in Pattaya specifically, must be hundreds of empty units visable simply from my motorbike as I ride in to the beach area.

good luck,

Nok

Thanks for the help.

Here's what I did..

I do think it is reasonable to ask for a deposit to hold a reservation. And my reservation is from Sept thru Dec. I am also familiar with the condos because I stayed there. I did not see the particular one in question because it was rented when I was there, but I was told it was better than what I had which was acceptable.

So...after a few emails they happily agreed to a 10,000 baht deposit. I then telephoned them and gave my credit card info directly to one of the farang managers that I know.

The credit card is a Cash Card that accesses an online account in which I keep a minimal amount of money. I am pretty sure all will be well. Hopefully great.

If not, you'll know.

Zane May

Archived