TOPS in pattaya has surprisingly good thai food

june11

Not a Thai food expert but the two times I have eaten there I found the food to be overpriced, not made like authentic Thai food (mai pet) and they gave me the wrong thing on both occasions. The staff was nice and attentive though but you never saw native Thais eating there unless it was a bargirl in tow with falang.

Oneye

Overpriced? I've been pretty much everywhere and keeping track of prices and this place is about the cheapest in pattaya and bangkok, except for the food courts where the food is PRE-MADE. (and except for the street stalls). By the way, where in Pattaya do you EVER see locals eating, except at street stalls? Every restaurant contains 99% foreigners.

I have seen the Thais eating in food areas that the Thais know the food is "authentic" and good. That is my point exactly. If the food was up to speed the Thais would eat there more often. So do you mean to say Thais only eat at food stalls in Pattaya? That is far from the truth and you know it. Having been to Pattaya a few times, I have learned to eat only at the venues that offer good Thai food. Fried Rice (Kow Pat) is 40 baht at Tops there and it is mediocre at best. Fried rice at an authentic Thai restaurant or stall is 25 baht at the most. Also, like I said the food is a far cry from what I like as far as taste. Very bland and not tasty. The average run of the mill Thai food stall makes the Thai food much better. I hate that they screw up the order even when I order in Thai (in my 2 trips there). I ordered Pat Grapow Moo and got white rice and a few slices of beef on the side. And it was bland, not one pepper to be found! Now that is not what I call good. It is convenient as hell but I would rather spend the 5 baht on moto gas to go somewhere where I can enjoy Thai food with spices and veggies and all the favorite things I am used to when it comes to Thai food. If you like it then continue to eat there. Pat Grapow cost 50 baht there when at Thepprasit market I can get it for 10 baht chilies and all (albeit a small serving, two of these would equal a serving from Tops).

Oneye

OK, I'd say it's the cheapest place compared to other air-conditioned places....so i'm backing down on that a bit (a bit?).

Still, they've NEVER screwed up my order in the 20 times i've been there. As far as restaurant populations, I still see 99% (ok, maybe 90% foreigners), except at open markets or stalls (but the relevant statistics now for comparison would be the thai vs. foreigner population overall). As far as spices, the things i've tried seemed pretty authentic (and always accompanied by prik-nam-plaa...

I ate at Tops in Pattaya today as my GF insisted on going there for some food this afternoon as we finished our shopping in Tesco. What about the Tesco food hall I ask ? Its no good the reply and it was half full of Thai's with only one falang in tesco food court as we walked past with our shopping. So we get in the car and drive to Tops...

Actually I also rate the food as being quite OK in Tops. Most inside were falang but there were also 3 groups of Thai families eating in there. GF was very happy after her meal !!!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

If you want to eat where the Thais eat try any of the Tesco Lotus 30 or so locations in Thailand (2 in Pattaya)All have a range of fast food places and a huge food court upstairs with about 15 or more small Thai food stalls where you can order from any stall using a prepaid card system and hugely successful with Thai and expat shoppers alike and at very reasonable prices.

In Pattaya I find the Foodland supermarket restaurant offers a good alternative.

Pat Grapow cost 50 baht there when at Thepprasit market I can get it for 10 baht chilies and all

-----------------------------------------------

Tepprasit market!!! You're the man, Oneye! That's'' the kind of place I will miss going to, now that I am back home. Great oy tawt, massaman, gai yang (you told me about that corner stall) and just shopping there with the GF, even in one of her moods.... You never know how good it is until you miss it (well, I knew. Nonetheless....).

PS: BTW, did you get my pix?

Hey Pattaya! Yeah I miss that place somethin awful... I may never get to do 2 months again. *SNIFF* It was the best and most relaxed 2 months of my life! Wow, still reeling from the things I discovered on a 2 month trip vs. a 1 week trip. You live the expat life and nothing is rushed. I slept alone on quite a few occasions and it was OK! But yeah Tepprasit market, something only a few expats and vacationers get to discover, a world unto its own.

No I did not get those pix. I will send you a better email on a PM.

Oneye

Archived