EAD Photos and Fingerprint Appointment

ABCinBK

My wife just got her appointment to come into the local INS office for her photo and fingerprints. She got this appointment after just 4 weeks from when the EAD application was mailed in. She was told that the current wait times are 3 months minimum to 4 months maximum, due to the increased workload since 9/11. She was told this by the INS agent, minus the reason being the increases security from post 9/11. That was obvious with 90% of the people in the INS office that day being Middle Eastern.

This is the second EAD she filed. The first one was rescheduled twice over the last 18 months due to my heavy international travel, which my wife accompanied me on. In the end, the INS lost the original EAD application. It took 2-4 months for the initial photo and fingerprint appointment for the first EAD.

Now here's the question. How quickly is the actual EAD (work permit) issued, once you go in for the photo and fingerprints?

For some reason, I remember being told it was within 2 weeks or so. But that is suprising, as that means the INS is actually going to issue my wife's EAD in 6 weeks. Is the EAD still normally issued within about 2 weeks from when you go in for photos and fingerprints?

The office near where we live is definitely overworked, and quick service has never been one of their traits.

ABC

My wife went to the regional center here in New York City for her EAD appointment and walked away with the card about an hour later. Took 5 months to get the appointment however.

Khun Pad Thai

Archived