REX hotel is a double pricer

Fatbastard

My friend vacated his apartment to move north and required a hotel for two nights, so duly sent his little lady down to the Rex on Sukumvit to book. When she enquired as to the rate was told "if your husband is Thai its 400 a night, if he is Farang its 900 night".

I know it happens a lot here but it never fails to get my blood pressure up.

I once stayed in a small hotel in Nakhom Pratom with my Thai GF. I knew from a guidebook that it was 400B for Thais and 800B for farangs, so I was interested to see what they'd quote. It was 600B, which was kind of fair...

I don't mind the double pricing on the public attractions, because one could argue that the Thais already contribute towards them in taxes. Things like hotels can be a little harder to stomach..

quote:

Originally posted by bibblies:

I don't mind the double pricing on the public attractions, because one could argue that the Thais already contribute towards them in taxes. Things like hotels can be a little harder to stomach..

Most Thai's don't pay Taxes. In the time I've been here I have probably paid more in Taxes than most Thais pay in their lifetime.

I do object to double pricing.

Using the same premise as you state you would agree on Thai's paying double when they leave the country and go elsewhere. I have a feeling you wont agree with that.

The REX needs to be seriously blacklisted. They have been "proudly" double-pricing foreigners for years. I recall about 5 years ago this issue somehow came up in the Bangkok Post. The response by the Rex management was that indeed they double priced, they were justified in doing so, and they had no plans to change. They have obviously stuck to their word.

froggo

• 4 months later...

Archived