A tip for LHR - BKK

SingaporeSteve

had to rush back to London last week and wanted to use up miles. Got a seat on the BA flight at 02.20AM back to London returning on flight at 21.20. Did not think too much as I had other things on my mind which is why I had to get back to the UK. Got to Bangkok airport and BA desks were deserted except for 1 check in agent !!!

Transpires the BA flight at 02.20 is actually the flight from Hong Kong to London which is now stopping over in BKK for a crew change so that do not overnight anybody in HKG. Well, I have to say this is the flight to choose if you like an aircraft to yourself. Going out, about 60 people commenced in HKG and about 15 checked in at BKK. First class had about 5 people, business 10 people and economy about 60 passengers.

Coming back was the same, a near enough empty flight.

I thinke evrybody had a row of seats to themselves. Flight was on time, fully kitted out with the little videos in the seats.

Have to make your own judgement call about liklihood of picking up SARS but personally, I think this is the flight to go for. I asked the check in agent at LHR how busy the normal BKK flight was and she said about 80% full with most people going through to Australia.

Worth considering if you are planning a trip soon. Its the BA 27/28 flight number but make sure its still stopping in BKK. Interestingly enough, at LHR there was no mention that the HKG flight was going via BKK, but they are happy enough to sell you a seat....

Cheers

Archived