"That doesn't make sense!"

gawguy

Hi, some alternatives for you here..

"Makes no sense"

'Mai dai kwahm' - äÃèä´é¤ÇÒà ..or

'Mai dai reuang' - äÃèä´éàÃ×èç

So, in sentence form.. - "The things you say don't make sense"

'Reuang tee khun pood mai dai kwahm leuy' - àÃ×èç·Õè¤Ø³¾Ù´äÃèä´é¤ÇÒÃàÅÂ

Or more simply you could even try something like..

'mai nah cheua' - äÃè¹èÒàª×èà - 'It's unbelievable' or..

'mai nah pen pai day' - äÃè¹èÒà»ç¹ä»ä´é - 'It's impossible'

Cheers

FF

äÃèà»ç¹àÃ×èç is IMO the best translation of "doesn't make sense".

¤ÇÒà can IMO not be used here alone but should be followed by some other word like for instance "¨ÃÔ§".

Samples of the use of ¤ÇÒà in this case of "making no sense"

are

äÃèä´é¤ÇÒèÃÔ§ or äÃèä´é¤ÇÒÃËÃÒÂ

"¤ÇÒà can IMO not be used here alone but should be followed by some other word like for instance "¨ÃÔ§"."

I'd put of replying to this until I'd found out more and with all due respect also didn't want to doubt your Thai language experience.. but today I consulted my Thai instructor about it at Chula and she came to agreeance that 'mai dai reuang' and 'mai dai kwahm' are very much in common use, share the same meaning, are expressions in themselves and don't need any other word following them.

Though on the other hand she said that 'mai pen reaung' is a more approptriate choice in this context for 'doesn't make sense', but is still probably more akin to 'making a mountain out of a mole hill' - making a small story into a big story.

But the most appropriate phrase points towards - "reuang nee pen pai mai dai leuy" (àÃ×èç¹Õéà»ç¹ä»äÃèä´éàÅÂ) - "This story is not possible". That is, something that's not possible and cannot make sense.

Another good alternative she stated is the adjective 'lew lai' (àËÅÇäËÅ) e.g. "khun pood lew lai". This is basically used for someone who tells a story, exaggerates, lies and stretches the truth.

Ahh..Much learning to be done...

"reuang nee pen pai mai dai leuy" (àÃ×èç¹Õéà»ç¹ä»äÃèä´éàÅÂ) does indeed make sense as nonsense.

Who am I to contradict a Thai language instructor at Chula, but IMO the use of ¤ÇÒà alone may be possible but implies reference to another word - perhaps silently -added, usually in reference to the story or question.

It can IMO therefore be used in contexts other than "no sense", usually indicating though that the story or question is not correct.

Maybe you see the chance to ask you Thai instructor about this, as it does interest me to know if my opinion on this is correct.

Will do .. Heading off to school today and will enquire about it.

As far as I'm aware though, it's a Thai expression in itself.. as the word 'kwam' is a word (noun) in its own right, meaning 'fact', 'effect', 'matter' or 'substance'.

It's second function is as a pre-fix attached to an adjective or verb to indicate a state, a condition or quality.. somewhat like the English -ness, as 'kwam dee' ¤ÇÒÃ´Õ - goodness (quoted from dic).

A few examples of it in its basic form from my dictionary are:

'khun ja pblae kwam wah arai' ¤Ø³¨Ãá»Å¤ÇÒÃÇèÒÃÃäà -

'How do you interpret the facts?'

'dai kwam laew' - ä´é´ÇÒÃáÅéÇ -

'I've got it (eureka!)'.

'khun me kwam nai jai arai' - ¤Ø³ÃÕ¤ÇÒÃã¹ã¨ÃÃäà -

'What matter have you got on your mind?'

'reuang tee khao low mai dai kwam' - àÃ×èç·Õèà¢ÒàÅèÒäÃèä´é¤ÇÒÃ

'His story does not make sense'

'kam pood korng khao yeud yao, dtae mai dai kwam' - ¤Ó¾Ù´¢Ã§à¢ÒÂ×´ÂÒÇ áµèäÃèä´é¤ÇÒà -

'His talk was long, but it had no sense (substance)'.

and finally...

'khao tam arai dai kwam samoer' - à¢Ò·ÓÃÃäÃä´é´ÇÒÃàÊÃà -

'Whatever he does is sensible (has matter)'.

Cheers,

FF

Archived