2nd Passport (not Thai) You Have? / How Got?

I'm a US citizen, a mistake of birth. With the current trial lead-ballon that recently got floated (eliminate US expat tax deduction) I have a feeling it's going to keep rearing it's ugly head until it gets passed like bad gas.

It seems the buy-citizenship programs of Belize and other places have been closed so here is my question: Have any of you gotten a 2nd passport without having to marry someone of another country? Here in Malaysia I won't get one since I'm not muslim and/or olympic athlete.

I'm doing searches on the net but all that is out there seems very, very dodgy. Any help from the brethern here?

Thanks.

If you're talking about obtaining a passport from a second country, then giving up your US citizenship, it isn't so easy.

Especially if your main reason for doing so is to avoid US taxes. As a matter of fact, the IRS addresses this scenario and says that people who rescind their US citizenship for tax reasons can STILL be held taxable. Don't ask me how, but I did read that somewhere. Or perhaps the US does not recognize the fact that you have given up your citizenship.

Of course, if you're content never to visit the US again that might be an issue.

Also, consider how hard it will be to travel on a tinpot passport like Belize, Vanuatu, et al. You will need a visa for almost everywhere (including the US), and I'm sure you will be asked lots of questions if you show up to apply for one.

Archived