Village People Bangkok Blues

chicagogato

I have been to Thailand 5 times in the last 3 years. I will be going back on June 29/03, by way of Cambodia for an extended stay. The following is an account of some of the incidents that happened during my 3rd trip in February 2002.

I'm passing the time well between Chaing Mai, Pookeyo and Bangkok but spending too much money.

Funny how the time just seems to slip away when I spend time in Thailand. I honestly could not tell you what the date is today and I would have to make a serious guess at what day of the week it is. But that?s all good! I was relaxing and chilling in the country with my girl Noy for two weeks, in a little village called Pookeyo, in the state of Chiayaphum. It?s a 6-hour ride north of Bangkok by bus.

The village life is a lot different from what I am accustomed to. Deep South early 1950s America is the closest I can compare to it. The saying it takes a village to raise a child really rings true here like it did back in the day. Everybody and I mean everybody knows everybody. Within 30 minutes of my arrival the whole village knew I was back.

It?s really hard to determine just what the locals think of this dark skinned foreigner. Especially when they wake up at 5:00 am and see me jogging past their modest homes. I mean modest in a country kind of way. It?s not uncommon to see a water buffalo parked next to a house in what could pass as a driveway back home. Most people that I encountered were very friendly but, every now and again I?d run across the occasional person or two who won?t return a greeting. But that?s ok, as long as there?s no confrontational situation there won?t be any shit! And to be honest, I don?t want any. I try to avoid any kind of trouble in Thailand and especially here in the country where it would be so easy for a person to just disappear without a trace

Life in Pookeyo is very uncomplicated and inexpensive. We drank rainwater and ate food grown or caught within a mile of Noy?s house. I could live there for 30 dollars a month. The locals can do it for 15. I could too but I refuse to eat insects of any kind.

If I could just get a few more creature comforts I could hide out there indefinitely but without them two weeks was all I could stand. 95 degrees in the shade, no air conditioning only fans. No hot showers, (good at night) no English language TV or radio, no internet hookup, no movie theaters close enough to be practical. Give me air and any two from the above list and I could hang. Without them, I head to Bangkok every other week to recharge and remember what I was trying to get away from.

BANGKOK BLUES

Big city life to the max. Anything you want is available if you know the right combination of words or the right people. The Holy Grail of sin, it?s been called. Some nights, I walk around like a kid in a candy store, grinning from ear to ear. This is home to some of the most beautiful women in the world. But you need to be careful because some of them are men who can punch like Sugar Ray Leonard and run like Carl Lewis if they need to. The truth is, I am no longer the happy hunter. Some where along the line the tables have turned. I am now the happily hunted. I?ve been here 3 times, each time staying from 3 weeks to 3 months. Just when I think I?ve got things figured out and I?m ready to pat myself on the back for possessing superior insight, something happens that defies everything that I think I know.

I met a girl named #12 one night a couple of weeks ago. She was walking on Sukhumvit towards Nana on the same side of the street as Majestic Suites. Real pretty in my opinion, 40 years old. I tend to go for the older girls from time to time because they seem to have fewer problems and know how to treat foreigners. The young ones seem to require too much time and energy and I?m also on a budget here. Anyway, this girl and I hit it off real well. We party and have great sex for about five days. Then on the 6th day I let her take me to stay the night at her apartment, which is not something I should have done. But like I said, I have things figured out right? We take a taxi and I?m surprised at how far away from my comfort zone I am. Relatives start coming out of the woodwork. I?m buying beer and food and pretty soon she starts telling me how her older cousin is in the Thai Mafia and I?m thinking which cousin? I?ve already met about 7 people that she claims as cousins. Now I start thinking about all the reasons that I should not be there. Like any one of these so-called ?cousins? could be her boyfriend or pimp or husband for that matter. I stay the night but insist on going to a hotel the next day. Actually, the hotel that she took me to was a lot nicer and cheaper than the one I had already. The only problem was that it was less than 5 minutes from her place.

Things go good for the next few days but when I tell her that I?m going to Chaing Mai in 2 days, guess what? That?s where she?s from and she wants to come along. I hesitate a long time before agreeing to take her but only after getting her to agree that we will not stay together once we arrive. I figured what the hell, I?m traveling by train, it?s an all night trip, private sleeping car, we can screw all night and wake up in Chaing Mai, she goes her way, I go mine, see you on the return trip. Good plan! I have got this shit so figured out. I know this game hands down. I?ve already told her about Noy being my number 1. She seems to understand. I even showed her pictures of the two of us together.

The nightmare starts when she wants to see pictures of my friend in Chaing Mai. It happened like this;

We are all set to go out for the evening. Movies and dinner. Then she says "can I see a picture of your girlfriend in Chaing Mai?. I tell her that I don?t have one and she says that I do. I say I don?t and she says that she knows that I do! I think oh shit, she?s been alone in the room and has gone through my bag! I insist that I don?t have a picture and say please lets just go to the movie. She sits on the bed fully dressed and says, "I want to see her picture right now" I say please, let?s go. She says "No! I want see picture!" "Now "! By now I?m getting a little pissed off and tell her to just leave. Wrong move. Very wrong! She looks at me like she could chop off my dick and starts collecting her stuff. All the while speaking in Thai very fast. I can?t understand completely but I?m certain that motherfucker and son of a bitch are in there somewhere. And just as she is about to go out of the door she makes a cutting motion two times across her wrist with an object that I think is a comb but am not sure. She says something else in Thai that I don?t understand and storms out. I think it?s just more Thai cursing like I hope you fucking bleed to death or something. For a minute I?m relieved and glad she?s gone but then, I think, shit she was nice to me until now, I?ll go and try to apologize. I figure she?s probably in the hallway or downstairs waiting for me to do just that. I open the door and see a trail of blood from my hotel room all the way down the hall. This chick cut her wrist and left a trail of blood all the way down the fucking hallway to the elevator.

I run down the hall and around the corner looking for her and catch her kneeling by the elevator letting a pool of blood collect at the entrance. She sees me and runs down the stairs not stopping when I call after her. I go half way down after her but then realize there?s no use. Now I start to panic! What the fuck am I going to do now? I had read about this type of thing happening but never in a million years did I think it could possibly happen to me. I pick up the phone and call the front desk and ask if there is anyone who speaks English that I could talk to because I have a real situation here. No such luck. I?m way out of my territory. I don?t know anyone except the Thai Mafia and there is a fucking trail of blood from my room that anyone could follow right to me. I think, any minute the cops are going to show up at the door and think I murdered someone. Immediately, I throw the weed she got for me off the balcony and start to pack my shit. Every 5 minutes or so I?m looking through the peephole and listening for any sign of the cops. Just as I get everything cleaned up in the room I look through the peep hole one last time before I make my getaway I see an old guy in a uniform standing at my door. He was looking down at the blood on the floor and talking with two other Thai guys. I can speak some pretty good Thai and understand about 40 to 70 percent of what I hear, depending on where I am in Thailand. When I?m pussy hunting or making small talk I have no problem at all. But just then, every Thai fraise that I ever learned left my memory. I was struck completely dumb. I took a deep breath and opened the door and invited the man in. I tried as best I could to explain what had just happened. Luckily, this guy was no cop. He was hotel security, Old enough to be my father. Turns out he understood what I was trying to tell him. He had seen this kind of thing before. He was more concerned with the blood on the floor than what happened with the girl. I told him that I was extremely scared and I was leaving right now! To my surprise, he did not try to stop me. I followed the trail of blood back down the hall to the elevator door where I?d left # 12 not 30 minutes prior. Her blood now seemed darker and there seemed to be more of it. I pressed the button and stood there shaking like a junky needing a fix. Was standing there looking at the puddle of blood at my feet and hoping that I would not meet the cops on the first floor.

I got to the lobby and the guy at the desk did not bat an eye when I told him I was checking out. He asked for the room key and I suddenly remembered that I had left it in the room. I made my way back up to the 3rd floor and followed that trail of blood back to my room only to find the old guy going through the wastebasket. I don?t know what he was looking for but I was glad I went through it first and got rid of the roaches.

Made it back down to the desk and out onto the street and waited for a cab for what seemed like an hour. The hotel was in Lat Prao, off the main street, which meant that I would need to wait until a cab let a fare out near the hotel. After about 10 minutes I picked up my bags and started walking the quarter mile to the main road and found a cab and was able to make my getaway. Three hours later # 12 was calling me on my cell phone asking me why I checked out of the hotel. She said she was so sorry and that she loved me and wanted to know where I was. Can you believe that shit? She still calls me every day to say she?s sorry.

Believe it or not, something good came out of this ordeal. My first night back in Bangkok, about two weeks prior, I went to my favorite email shop and met this beautiful girl. She looks like a Chinese girl but she is Thai. No tits but she has great ass with hair down to her waist and big beautiful legs. She speaks great English She gave me her card and told me that if I needed a guide, translations or anything at all while I was in Thailand to give her a call. Well, I called her from the taxi and told her what had happened. She asked where I was going and I told her that I would be back at my first hotel. She took the address and came over and sat up with me all night. We slept together that night but no sex; I was in too bad a shape to even think about it. We are Great friends now and I can?t wait to get back to Bangkok to see her. But that is a whole different story that I might have time to tell later. In spite of this horror story, I still love Thailand. I have had far more good times than bad and the good times just keep on happening!

I think its time to head back to the country for a while.

Peace out!

PS. What doesn?t kill you makes you stronger

Archived