Ko Chang trip

legover

Hi Legover,

I`ve been to both places. Koh Chang in Trat is much more interesting in my view and not only because it is much larger.

As a matter of fact I liked it so much that I spent 3 months on it in `97. Lots of longtermers on the island.

I am sure you are gonna enjoy yourself there.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

thanks, though i was beginning to have second thoughts. the gf's been before but didn't elaborate then found some news about recent development... after the govt decided to encourage dev. new airport at Trat opened in April '03 run by Bangkok Airways....

==

"Frenzy at Koh Chang - CNN, September 24, 2002

You've read about it in the local press, now here's the international take on it: ...one tropical island after another in Thai waters has been overrun in the onslaught of the tourism industry. Phuket, Samui, Phi Phi, Samet -- all these once idyllic islands have suffered through unbridled, profit-first development. Now, Thailand's cash-starved government has its eye on the last large piece of paradise, aiming to transform the island of Koh Chang into a theme park for rich foreigners. "The island would generate huge revenue for the country if it were fully developed," says Plodprasop Suraswadi, who heads a special body to oversee this development....

A feeding frenzy erupted as soon as Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced his vision for Koh Chang last October. As prices soared, speculators and developers scooped up land held by villagers for generations. Racing to beat new regulations going into effect in coming months, developers are now engaged in soon-to-be forbidden, already illegal or simply inappropriate activities. A lagoon is being dredged, mangrove swamps cut down, national park land violated. One upmarket resort dumps untreated sewage into the sea. Cookie-cutter bungalows are being hastily marshaled on beaches and once forested slopes. See it before it's too late"

===

& this BP Feb '02

KOH CHANG

Property prices given a boost

Ambitious plans could spell disaster for the environment

KULTIDA SAMABUDDHI

Sompong Polwanich, 52, a fisherman from Chang island in Trat, wants a rich businessman to buy his 0.5 rai of land near Klong Prao beach, one of the island's most popular tourist spots.

Property prices have increased sharply since Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra unveiled ambitious plans to develop the island for eco-tourism.

Mr Sompong said it was the family's last plot of land. ``My uncle and my nephew sold their land a few years ago. Now it is my turn. I wish I could sell it at a good price like them.''

His land cost 550,000 baht, much cheaper than land on the beachfront, which cost around 3-6 million baht a rai.

``Some developers said my land was too small for bungalows or resorts. But I really want to sell it and move to stay with my relatives on the mainland,'' said Mr Sompong.

Many islanders had already moved: Klong Prao village, once home to 1,000 people, now had only 100 residents.

Mr Sompong said local people started to sell their land 10 years ago, but the pace had picked up since cabinet last month approved a 498-million-baht budget for 37 eco-tourism projects. They are supposed to be ready by September.

``We heard about it on the radio. I support the plan because it will bring us better roads and tap water.''

Opinion is divided about the government's plans. Somyos Muntawil, 37, said he was not keen on turning the island into the ``Phuket of the East''. Koh Chang had suffered enough from tourists.

``I am sad to see my homeland being exploited,'' said Mr Somyos. ``Public ways to the beachfront are blocked by resorts, coral reefs have been broken by tourists, and mangrove forests are encroached upon by resort builders.''

The provincial authority, forestry officials and tambon Koh Chang ignored resort operators who breached environmental measures.

``These illegal activities are committed openly. It is impossible that they do not notice. That's why I believe it's a conspiracy between local officials and investors,'' said Mr Somyos, a fisherman who turned to labouring when fish supplies dwindled. Forestry officials were happy to arrest villagers who fished too close to the coast but allowed land developers to encroach on beaches.

Tourism, he said, also forced local people to buy things at inflated prices.

``Everything from drinking water to a packet of cigarettes, is five to 10 baht higher than normal,'' he said.

Sunya Kerdmanee, chairman of Koh Chang TAO, agreed that problems had emerged as result of tourism. The TAO had been revising regulations to tackle them.

``Most regulations, particularly controls on construction, can't be enforced because agencies such as the Office of Environmental Policy and Planning do not agree with the TAO's proposals,'' he said.

Rather than keeping Koh Chang under nationally-enforced rules, state agencies should allow local people to manage the island, he said. ``Local people know that what regulations suit our community.''

Villagers had little input into the tourism plans.

A working group chaired by forestry chief Plodprasop Suraswadi is working on the blueprint.

``Koh Chang villagers don't know what our lives will be like after the plan comes into effect.

``I really have no idea what the master plan looks like. I also notice that very few local people take part in the committee.''

Mr Sunya said that only 5% of Koh Chang's land area could be further developed for tourism. The government did not need such ambitious goals.

``All we need are basic facilities, such as asphalt roads, electricity and water supply.''

Mr Plodprasop's plan for a special administration body to manage Koh Chang were also worrying.

``Local people might be impeded from joining. I am worried Koh Chang will be manipulated by outsiders.''

Mr Sunya said the government should take note of the adverse impacts tourism had caused on Samet and Phuket islands.

A 1999 report for the Tourism Authority ranked Koh Chang as the fifth most popular marine national park.

Around 300,000 tourists visit Chang island each year. TAT predicted that tourist number would reach 790,000 a year by 2006.

legover

Archived