Apartment renting. What is the real price??

jacko

I regularly like to use serviced apartments. Soon I think I will be staying for an approx. 6 month timeframe, and a regular apartment would suit me better. But I wonder, what is the real cost associated with renting an apartment in Thailand - let's use Pattaya as a basis?

Monthly rental - some look very reasonable (Pattaya Mail);

How much advance rent do you have to put down?

Security deposit (which one might not get back :banghead: )? How much?

Utilities??

Maintenance Costs.

Key money - what the hell is this, if it applies?

Any other hidden extras?

Would I just be better off staying in a serviced place and paying up, albeit a little more, a fixed rental only amount.??

I am sure I can save on say a 1000 baht/ night hotel/serviced apartment cost - and get a bit more space also. :: :: ::

Recommendations welcomed.

Well fair point, you can book the serviced apartments on a longer term basis and get a good price (normally paying in advance I think). My last one month stay produced the 1000 baht/day rate I mentioned.

I was really trying to save on accommodation and wondered whether just a regular apartment would be worth while.

Hi Jacko,

Although I don't live in Pattaya, I think the figures are not that much different from Bangkok. I don't know what level you are looking at so I will take something average.

Lets assume you rent a decent 2 bedroom place, that should be available around 10,000/month, but might be somewhat higher since you will need a furnished place.

Usually contracts are 6 or 12 months for normal rental, where the 6 months contract usually mean you have to pay a bit higher rent, maybe 10% extra. Maintnance would be something like 500-1000 on top of the rent.

Deposts are 2-3 months rent. Good idea to check with others in the building if they have heard about problems with returning the deposit. Loosing the deposit, or since you will likely be leaving the country after end of contract, late return of the deposit would also mean you are unable to collect.

You are probably going to need a phone line, direct line is prefeered here, many apartment lines cuts after 15-30 mins and cost way too must to use. Installing (if possible, check this first) a direct line will cost you 3,500. For normal use, lets say mostly internet a direct line only costs something like 3-500/month.

Water will not cost more than 2-300. Electricity, assuming you have a freeze, runs the air at night and other normal use should not be more than 3,500/month.

Keymoney doesn't apply to apartments.

Now, it's up to you to compare with the serviced places, although the term serviced is a bit loose and might not mean more than the place is furnished and has a tv and freeze, usually they include everything in the monthly rent and short renting is available.

Hope it helps you a bit :)

Best regards,

Danish30

as recommended by singaporesteve in another thread star suites suk soi15 just after the connecting soi to 13.

studio with vcd/cable tv/roof pool/fully serviced/basic kitchen util./direct phone line/std. 5bt out calls/1k daily/20k/m. call 016899598 for info/reservation

One other thing to consider is maid service, a service apartment is, well, serviced. For the regular ap't or house, hiring a non-live-in clean-one-a-week type of maid is like 1500-2k per month (I previously had one who did my laundry too, it was 2k per month and then no laundry costs).

Archived