Where to buy DVDs of Manga, HK, Asian films in BKK

Hidy Ho

It's fairly easy to find farang blockbusters and recent Thai titles. But I can't seem to locate place(s) to find Japanese Mangas, Hong Kong flicks, other Asian countries and general "artsy" films ... prefer DVD format.

Beside mangas, I like other Japanese films especially older Kurosawa stuff. Also love HK cinema such as Three Swordmen saga, Once Upon a Time in China, Sex & Zen :o, Naked Killers and etc.

Korean blockbusters are more available here than in USA.

Can't seem to locate older Thai titles as well such as Nang Nak, Bangkok Dangerous, Fah Talai Jones, Satri Lek and etc.

Also looking for places to buy more European, non-USA titles.

Jazz,

On the ground floor of Panthip I recently stumbled across a dvd shop that specialized in Asian (especially Japanesse) cinema. They appeared to have all of Kurosawa's works and many other titles with which I ws unfamiliar...and at Panthip prices (though slightly more than the usual)

As I'm not looking to lose any more sources of hard to find dvd's at cheap prices, please PM me if you'd like more detailed directions to the shop.

Jazz,

I bought some thai movies last wednesday in fortune town, one floor up with the escalator. Walk with your back towards Lotus, and you'll find a shop on your left hand side that sells and rents dvd's. I picked up Daeng Birely, and saw also Nang Nak and Bangkok Dangerous in that store, all under 200 baht. They have quite a selection of asian movies in there. Might be worth a look.

Cheers,

soongmak

I visited the same place as itsmedave, and picked up some interesing stuff, as he wrote a bit more expensive- the location is as you come down the down escalator to the ground floor it;s the first dvd place that's facing you.

I find it a real shame that the majority of the dvd stalls sell the same old shit.

OK, thanks for the info.

I found the shop at Panthip Plaza and bought TEN movies. Five Kurosawa classics and five Japanese mangas. Don't buy "RAN" ... it's a copy of unrestored film :: Akira (manga) on the other hand was totally awesome restored copy.

DVD 9 was 250, DVD 5 was 150 each before 10% volume discount. I noted that DVD 9 didn't skip on my cheap DVD player whereas DVD 5 sometimes do skip.

They have few more HK and Japanese titles I'm interested in ... but still it's not THE SHOP that have everything I want ... such is life.

Archived