The Mother of all storms, from heaven to hell, etc

Thanks for dealing with the BKK side of things UAL875, but where is THE quote?

Not much time here lads but a few impressions of my current trip to Pattaya.

The Mother of all Storms

Trees were floating down roads here on Sunday night when one heck of a storm besieged Pattaya for hours. I thought we were trapped in a seafood restaurant before our innovative waiter flagged a songtaow (sp?) and sheltered us with a huge parasol to the cab. We still got drenched walking the 10 yards to the entrance to the residence Gardens which, BTW, is excellent value at 1350 bt.

From heaven to hell

Treated myself to a great soapie at Sabailand and came out 2 hours later walking on clouds until I turned right and proceeded down toward beach road. While thinking these soapy gals have the potential to make serious bucks, a young girl (6-8) caught my eye. Here she was diving to the depths of the garbage with her mom searching for scraps. The scene brought me back to reality with a thud and I gave them 200 bht. Along the same road are other reminders of poverty like tin shacks hosting families of 5-6 people.

Amazing memories and a dying local

Entered my local from over 15 years ago and saw no familiar faces until "Pui" yelled out "Roppongi" and ran over. She remembered my name, friends, even where we used to stay. I was impressed. My local's a shadow of it's former self but I still call it home in Pattaya and membership does have its benefits.

The mama booked us a boat out to Hardtien beach at the back of Ko Larn. Threw in a few towels, beers and we were off. Beach is clean, uncrowded (well today anyway) and the food was fine, but not cheap.

More later. Duty calls :neener:

Quote of the week:

"Can you spare me a pound?"

-- Down-and-out backpacker in front of the Marriot in BKK after asking Torrenova and I if we speak English?

Archived